mystery snails float?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ram897

Aquarium Advice Activist
I bought 2 mystery snails this weekend and didn't realize one of them was up at the top when I did the water change today. He has been floating around ever since and won't stay on the bottom. He is not dead because I dug out and put in a cup with water and he was moving around in there so I just put him back in the tank. Will he be ok if I just leave it alone? Or should I do something?

Also, do I need to feed them?

Same thing happened to mine a while back, the ones floating were either dead or dying, my guess is it's dying :S

Was it floating or just on top of the water it that makes sense? Occasionally mine will float across the top of the water and then a while later be over it I guess and get back to work cleaning everything.

Ram897 said:
I bought 2 mystery snails this weekend and didn't realize one of them was up at the top when I did the water change today. He has been floating around ever since and won't stay on the bottom. He is not dead because I dug out and put in a cup with water and he was moving around in there so I just put him back in the tank. Will he be ok if I just leave it alone? Or should I do something?

Also, do I need to feed them?

The floating could be down to trapped air either in its shell or lung, this usually disperse,s itself or you can put some off its tank water on a plate enough to cover its foot & let it open up this works for my snails then just put it back in its tank. My snail's do that a lot lol they need algae wafers & blanched veg too eat. Hope this helps :)

Well, I got up this morning and the floater was back at the bottom. Crazy little critters. I will have to go get some algae wafers, thanks for the info. The people at the lfs said that I don't have to feed them because they can survive on the "left overs" in the tank. Unfortunately my leftovers consist of carnivore pellets and catfish poo. Something tells me they won't like that much.

Ram897 said:
Well, I got up this morning and the floater was back at the bottom. Crazy little critters. I will have to go get some algae wafers, thanks for the info. The people at the lfs said that I don't have to feed them because they can survive on the "left overs" in the tank. Unfortunately my leftovers consist of carnivore pellets and catfish poo. Something tells me they won't like that much.

You never know lol I,ve seen mine eating my Bristlenoses poo weird! :)

Lol! Hopefully they will clean it all up because I need to order from amazon because I can't get to town for a couple of days.
So i need to blanch the veggies before I put them in? I am not a zucchini fan so have never bought one but I understand that is their favorite treat? Do you peal it?

Also, how do I know if I need a source of calcium for the shells and what do I use?

Ram897 said:
Lol! Hopefully they will clean it all up because I need to order from amazon because I can't get to town for a couple of days.
So i need to blanch the veggies before I put them in? I am not a zucchini fan so have never bought one but I understand that is their favorite treat? Do you peal it?

Yep give them a good clean, peel them & blanch them. Mine love cucumber fresh not blanched, also blanched kale great for calcium & blanched spinach. You can put cuttlebone in your tank for calcium I use it for mine, the snails nibble on it. Hope that helps :)

Mine float sometimes. I just leave them alone and eventually they are back at work on the glass!

Well, my life with snails may be cut a little short...
The black shell is at the bottom but I don't see anything in it and the yellow one isn't moving. I thought maybe the shells would be enough protection against the pictus cats but apparently not. I think these cats become murderers after dark! Would they eat a dead snail? And would dead snails or empty shells be able to stay on the bottom?

Any fish/invert will eat dead snails. And yes, dead snails/empty shells can stay at the bottom.

I am just going to leave them be til I get home tonight. I don't want to accidentally kill one of them just because of my lack of experience.
Thanks for the help and I will let you know when I get home.

And in the mean time we are re-naming the pictus after serial killers...

If you are ever wondering if your snail has died, and the body seems intact, just pick up the shell and put it near your nose. If the snail is alive, you won't notice any odor. If the snail is dead, the smell's so bad it'll knock your socks off and, if you're not wearing socks, your nose hairs will burn off. It's that bad.

That is hilarious! But very good to know.
I guess I assumed they were just out and active all the time. Do they sleep?

LyndaB said:
If you are ever wondering if your snail has died, and the body seems intact, just pick up the shell and put it near your nose. If the snail is alive, you won't notice any odor. If the snail is dead, the smell's so bad it'll knock your socks off and, if you're not wearing socks, your nose hairs will burn off. It's that bad.

That's so true! My cana snail died & the smell was that bad it made my eyes water lol never forget that odour!

They are definitely not out all the time. And that seems to be true for various snail species. My Japanese trapdoor snail stays in one position for weeks at a time. I'm constantly giving him the sniff test, poor thing.

Well, one of them has definitely disappeared. I have an empty gold shell and can't find anywhere in the tank! I think my pictus had themselves a little snack.

Back
Top Bottom