Mystery Snails in Hot Water!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autumnsky

Site Team
I have some Ich and turned up the temp on the tank gradually from 78F to 88F and gradually added salt (dissolved in conditioned water) equivalent of 1 tsp p/G over 4 days.

The tank has been at 88 for a day and a half. Fish all seem fine but today the snails were all laying on the bottom with their traps open about 3-4 mm.

I have a HOB plus a 18" bubble wand, a 4" bubble stone and added a round bubble stone for additional oxygen. All with separate air pumps.

I grabbed the 7 snails and a zip bag of water, and floated them for 20 min and put them into my moss and rams horn bowl /room temp maybe 70-72F.

After an hour, only one is active and crawling on the side of the glass...

4 of them retracted the trap door three didn't. :(

Any ideas, other suggestions.

Do you think it is the hotter water or the salt or both? (Or Ich? I can move this to unhealthy fish.)

it was prob the salt, not the temp... snails cant handle salt unless they are the marine variety like some nerite... 2 bad you werent told this... hopefully the others recover, and ur fish get better. good luck!

After another search of the tank I found three more which were still feeding and stuck onto things, so gently dislodged them, floated them for temp. adjustment and there are a total of 5 out of 10 moving around, I am hoping the rest will feel better soon. I had the understanding 1 tsp p/Gallon was alright, for all of them or I wouldn't have left them.
- very sad right now.

It would probably be the salt as said, I,ve got ich in my tank at the moment the heats 89 & my snails seem to be managing fine. Sorry to hear that :(

It could be both. Both of my big apple snails died around the exact same time I turned my heat up in my tank. I guess it could have been something else but there was nothing added to my tank other than that and both of the big adult snails died at the exact same time so maybe its the heat and the salt. But I have added salt and my snails all did fine as long as I wasnt going over board with the salt.

Some okay, some not

Found two more seemingly healthy/ moving around the tank, but I took them out and put them in another tank. I forgot there were so many in there. I saw a baby Rams horn creeping along and it seemed fine.

It may have been when I poured the salt water concentrate into the tank. That is the only other thing I can think of. A few of them were near the top. (though I put it next to the filter flow so it would circulate better)
:(

Sorry to hear about so many cases of Ich. Three of mine have it bad but are still alive and active, 1 looks bad. Doing more water changes and keeping the salt at 1 tsp p/G, with no snails left in there I think...

I started the same with malachite (another not so great thing for inverts) and a month later (needed some help, had too much gravel) they're only coming out very seldomly. A bit lethargic but nothing too bad. They'll get used to it. The salt, at 50%, and slowly raised shouldn't be bad (not good) though a member told me not to use salt at full concentration any way unless it is dire.

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL about the Honey Badger! I needed a good laugh.

I have the malachite Paraguard, but didn't want to use it unless no other option.

There are Amano shrimp in there and some random Rams.

Now that the snails are not in the salty water more of them are feeling better now. Several still seem "sluggish" pun intended! Still not sure on a couple of them. They are still keeping their traps shut.

Back
Top Bottom