Mystery snails shell cracked

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pongeer247

Aquarium Advice Freak
There is a crack on both of my mystery snails shells starting at the opening and going back. I have since added cuttle bone to the tank for added calcium( something I read about). Is there anything I need to do since the flesh is exposed on one of them?

There is a crack on both of my mystery snails shells starting at the opening and going back. I have since added cuttle bone to the tank for added calcium( something I read about). Is there anything I need to do since the flesh is exposed on one of them?

There is some info somewhere about using a egg shell piece or a shell from passed on snail, boiling or sterilizing it and covering the open area.

I haven't ever done it. You can check on it further or maybe someone else can help better.

I hope your snails will be alright.

I found a thread on here about it but the link was no longer good. I will search a little online.

I add liquid Calcium and Iodine from Kent company. It helps the shells stay strong. Its the one made for marine tanks. Cuttlebone works ok but I prefer the liquid.

I have never operated on a snail. I have read you can use super glue but you must be extremely careful not to get any on the snail flesh.

Good Luck!!

I understood it to be a bit of a delicate operation.

I add liquid Calcium and Iodine from Kent company. It helps the shells stay strong. Its the one made for marine tanks. Cuttlebone works ok but I prefer the liquid.

I have never operated on a snail. I have read you can use super glue but you must be extremely careful not to get any on the snail flesh.

Good Luck!!

I have read the same thing when it comes to repairing the shells.

Brennae: I'm sure the liquid calcium works a lot faster. At this point I had some extra cuttle bone sitting around since the passing of our green cheek conure, so I went ahead with that.

I haven't read anything on iodine though. I didn't know that it was needed.

How much cuttle bone do u need for 2.5 ph is like 6.8 more or less . My water is soft I have a Betta in with it

So how much cuttle bone do I need for snail then it's shell was lookin little thin front

I took a half of a cuttlebone and put it into the tank. Or even a whole one if it is the smaller kind. It floats for a few days and will eventually sink, just try to keep the soft part down into the water. After it sinks just plunk it in like a Totem Pole near the water outflow or a corner.

Also took a knife and scraped some off of the bone for maybe 1/3-1/2 tsp mix with a little tank water to sort of dissolve and put it in the tank, a bunch will stick to the cup anyway. Mine clouded up for a couple hours one time, and a few hours another time but cleared up pretty fast.

The acid water will degrade /eat up the cuddle bone too and having the cuttlebone will help the snails. I saw a noticeable improvement in their shells quality.

Periodically every couple months I will shave some into the water again, after pwc. Figuring I am removing some of it with normal pwc.

The snails are pretty tough, to overcome some of these things.

At least it will be better for any snails you will add in the future too.

I would add the powder 1/3 at a time over 3 weeks, as to not cause any problems, I have added the powered cuttle bone to all my tanks, no problems.

There is also shrimp mineral in a liquid, I wonder if anyone has used this for their snails too. You may want to check on it I think there is one by Salty Shrimp, and Fluval shrimp mineral supplement.

Adding calcium should not affect the Betta too much. They are able to adapt to fairly hard water quite well. It's not like you adding tons of calcium in a short time.

So how much cuttle bone do I need for snail then it's shell was lookin little thin front

I truly don't know how much would raise to how much. I put two pieces about a 1/4 of an inch each. They seem to be dissolving pretty slowly. I have done one WC since adding but having done any water tests since the WC.(WC was yesterday) all my fish seem to be doing ok.

I have also read that adding superglue or something else( don't remember what it was) to the outside of the shell will help protect the shell. Still looking into repairing cracks that go all the way through.

I think you need to check the site of sites for apple snails. The Apple Snail (Ampullariidae) Website
There is truly great information there, on all types of snail issues.

The crack, since it originates at the growing edge, is likely not going to close up. Snails can calcify exposed flesh but it takes time, and they should be isolated from any other critters that may simply try to eat the flesh. Fish, shrimp, other snails too.

Repair of large damaged areas has been tried, with some success. Crazy glue does work, is water safe, fish and shrimp safe once dry. The trick is making sure no glue touches the flesh or inner layers of shell. One method suggested making sure the area to be patched is clean and dry. Put the snail in very shallow water while you get ready, then pick him up so he closes the door, and dry gently around the edges. You need piece of shell from a dead snail as a patch. Try spreading the glue on cardboard first, then using a toothpick to put just enough on the edges of the open area, being sure none dribbles over the edge to the inner snail. Then stick down the repair patch. Allow to dry a minute or so, then rinse well, to make sure it sticks.. and pray you did not get wet glue on the inner parts of the snail. Put the snail back in the tank.

But you can't put a patch on the growing edge because it's always growing, even if very slowly. Having exposed flesh does mean the snail may become infected with something, so if it's a big chunk of exposed flesh, I'd be tempted to try to patch most of it, if only to give him a shot at life, because if the area is too large he won't be able to calcify it in time.

Site also is very clear about something I've always figured was true anyway. They need non acidic water. If your pH is below 7, the shells will sufffer, and while if the snail is a fair size and healthy, it may be able to lay down calcium inside the shell to offset the damage, the protein layer on the outside is gone for good in acid water, which allows the calcium layer inside to constantly dissolve away.

If you have acid water it has to be changed, gradually, for water that is alkaline and harder, with plenty of calcium in it. A GH test will tell you if the water is hard enough.

Betta fish are fine in harder water, I kept them in tap water here. My tap water can be as high as 7.8 or 8, though it does go down after a day or two, a few points. Fish and snails did fine in it, but I still add calcium supplements for the snails anyway.

Check the site, it has absolutely outstanding information.

I think you need to check the site of sites for apple snails. The Apple Snail (Ampullariidae) Website

The crack, since it originates at the growing edge, is likely not going to close up. Snails can calcify exposed flesh but it takes time, and they should be isolated from any other critters that may simply try to eat the flesh. Fish, shrimp, other snails too.

Repair of large damaged areas has been tried, with some success. Crazy glue does work, is water safe, fish and shrimp safe once dry. The trick is making sure no glue touches the flesh or inner layers of shell. One method suggested making sure the area to be patched is clean and dry. Put the snail in very shallow water while you get ready, then pick him up so he closes the door, and dry gently around the edges. You need piece of shell from a dead snail as a patch. Try spreading the glue on cardboard first, then using a toothpick to put just enough on the edges of the open area, being sure none dribbles over the edge to the inner snail. Then stick down the repair patch. Allow to dry a minute or so, then rinse well, to make sure it sticks.. and pray you did not get wet glue on the inner parts of the snail. Put the snail back in the tank.

But you can't put a patch on the growing edge because it's always growing, even if very slowly. Having exposed flesh does mean the snail may become infected with something, so if it's a big chunk of exposed flesh, I'd be tempted to try to patch most of it, if only to give him a shot at life, because if the area is too large he won't be able to calcify it in time.

Site also is very clear about something I've always figured was true anyway. They need non acidic water. If your pH is below 7, the shells will sufffer, and while if the snail is a fair size and healthy, it may be able to lay down calcium inside the shell to offset the damage, the protein layer on the outside is gone for good in acid water, which allows the calcium layer inside to constantly dissolve away.

If you have acid water it has to be changed, gradually, for water that is alkaline and harder, with plenty of calcium in it. A GH test will tell you if the water is hard enough.

Betta fish are fine in harder water, I kept them in tap water here. My tap water can be as high as 7.8 or 8, though it does go down after a day or two, a few points. Fish and snails did fine in it, but I still add calcium supplements for the snails anyway.

Thank you! That was a lot of good advice. I will be checking the link this afternoon.

I noticed yesterday that it seems the crack either hasn't actually gone all the way through the shell or the snail has been able to calcify most of the opening. It is doing much better in my daughters 10 gal. Than when he was in the 1gal. Pictures show the crack. Will be looking for an old shell to do the patch work. Don't want my snail to get hurt lol.

Attachments

• image-3539153830.jpg
    image-3539153830.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 105
  • image-4221656105.jpg
    image-4221656105.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 85

After checking your link I realized its the same link I found on another thread when I was browsing for other information on this. This was a very informative link. Thank you for sharing it with us!

Back
Top Bottom