Mystery Snails under water egg sacs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

srlove527

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,
I'm newbie to the aquarium hobby. Me and my fiance got into it this past summer. We have 2- 10 gallons and a 45 gallon tall. We started with the first 10 gallon and have 3 mystery snails in this tank. One female, 2 male. We originally had the 2, Blue the male, and Goldie the female. They mated for a very long time and I kept looking for the eggs above the water line. A couple of months later we added Jean, he is also gold. I have never seen any eggs above the water line, but we now have a ton of little baby snails crawling all over the place. Upon my inspection and cleaning of the tank I have seen little things that look like some kind of clear egg sacs attached to the plastic plants and on the wall of the tank. Are these snail eggs? I thought they lay their eggs above the water line and are orange in color. This has to be where all the babies came from, right? I never once found eggs above the water line and believe me I searched because I saw them mating all the time. I can't take on anymore babies that is for sure. I'm not sure what to do with all that we now have. I think I'm going to have to separate the female. It is really hard to see these eggs. They are clear. We had some glow danios and tetras in there, but have since moved them to another tank and added 6 neon tetras to the snail tank. Any advice would be appreciated.

You might have apple snails. Some species of apple snails lay their eggs underwater. A good source of information is Applesnails.net or you could have pond snails which can overload a tank very quickly. If you could post pics then I could maybe be able to see which you have.

I have 6 mystery snails for about 2 months now and I just got two sacks yesterday and today for the first time. But to get rid of them, I would let them grow a bit and in the mean time find a local fish store and see if they will buy them and or take them. Better than killing them at least.

If the snail eggs are clear and under the water they won't be mystery snail's as there egg sacs are pinky and big and laid above the water line. It sounds like either ramshorn or pond snail's. Could you get a pic of the babies and eggs? This would help identify them :)

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
16 gallon vampire shrimp and snails

Sorry to jump into this thead.. I have what I think is pond snails after reading this... I have 3 right now but I see clusters of eggs everywhere.. Is there a place for pond snails in a fish tank or should I get rid of them?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sorry to jump into this thead.. I have what I think is pond snails after reading this... I have 3 right now but I see clusters of eggs everywhere.. Is there a place for pond snails in a fish tank or should I get rid of them?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If it was me I would get rid of them. I keep lot's of different snail's, but not pond they tend to overrun the tank.

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
16 gallon vampire shrimp and snails

So the clear sacs had to be pond snails. Because after about 7 months Goldie finally laid her egg sac above the waterline. I'm not sure how we got pond snails but I want them gone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Here's Goldie

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1425429779506.jpg
    1425429779506.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 775
Back
Top Bottom