Mystery snails won't hatch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chillie308

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok here's the run down I have 7 adult mystery snails 3 are female. Since March I have had at least 15 clutches. If I leave them on the glass or lid guarenteed they are in the water within 6 days. I built a floating nursery and they kept attracting some odd microscopic little white worms.

I then moved to a Tupperware container with and aquarium filter pad and treated water below but not touching.... Mist once a day with treated water and put a paper towel locked in with the lid above to catch condensation and placed I top of my cable box to keep it warm but not hot. After 6 weeks still nothing no color change or nodda so thrown away.

I repeated the Tupperware thing minus misting . After 10 days some looked as if they were completely dried out so I got curious and poked them and in an entire clutch there was 6 baby snails. I rescued them 3 weeks ago and put the remaining eggs back in the container waiting to see more that need help out. This makes this clutch 5 weeks old and a poked 2 more eggs and was nothing but liquid. This is the 2nd time this has happened.

My clutches never get to the color changing and falling apart after 6 weeks. It's like after 10 days there's very very few snails and the rest don't develop. They are purples and Blues. What in the world could I be doing wrong?

Are you supplementing any minerals?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have cuttlebone in the filter box... They get snail jello and every water change I scrape off a little cuttle bone also.... And 1 tums per week

What is snail jello? I wouldn't put Tums in the tank. It has additives and dyes etc that are not going to be beneficial.
A good tip is go to the the Marine section of your lfs and get liquid calcium, magnesium and iodine. Put a few drops of each in the water daily. Keep cuttlebone out in the tank where the snails can get to it. They also make mineral balls for shrimp and that could be an option if you don't want to mess with the liquids.

Han Aquatics sells them and so does member Junglefowl.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

1 (1 tbsp) pckg unflavored gelatin
1 jar 2nd stages baby food with 4-6% calcium (sweet potato and squash, green bean, peas, vegetable medley, etc)
8-10 crushed calcium pills/calcium powder
1 tbsp fish flakes

That sounds fine and reasonable. Do you know the hardness of your water?

If you want an easier route you might look into the Repashy line of foods. It's a powder you mix with heated water and it makes a gel. I pour the mixture in the saucers of flower pots so that it sinks. Snails and fish both usually love the stuff. Just sounds like you are doing a lot of work! Watch the calcium affecting your water. Big swings can affect the fish. Are the snails in the same tank as the guppies?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Nope they are separate tanks ... And on my guppy thread I forgot to add I've found 6 fry 2 weeks ago and nothing since and on a light colored guppy I can see the black dots for the eyes the others are just black but found it odd being 2 weeks that was it I'm just impatient lol

Their gestation cycle is 28 to 30 days normally. Younger females don't drop nearly as many fry

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I use the repashi gel mix too. It is a big hit with the bn pleco, rcs, and mystery snails. It's not enough for healthy snail shell growth. An extra calcium supplement is also needed.
Kudos for the mix you've concocted! I'd be all confused about the ratios to use.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Update! All I had to do was complain lol I left one small clutch on the glass in my tank since I had 3 others it's been 10 days so I was getting worried it would fall went to move it and it fell apart with a good 30 babies in it ��

The snail farm has begun:) any pics?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I hatched them out in this small container to count before putting them in the tank there were 42 all together. We don't have any lfs around here and people are always looking for snails so I'm excited for this.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 79
I hatched them out in this small container to count before putting them in the tank there were 42 all together. We don't have any lfs around here and people are always looking for snails so I'm excited for this.

Didn't take long for them to be up the sides of the container although I still have 10 that are floating in the tank possibly dead?

Back
Top Bottom