Natural Environment: Using Dried Leaves & Botanicals in Invert (and fish) tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autumnsky

Site Team
Not too long ago I bought a bunch of dried leaves and seed pods /botanicals to keep my shrimp and inverts as well as nano (mostly soft water pH) fish in a more natural condition.

Pretty much always have felt that the fish and shrimp / all water box creatures, would appreciate having an environment that would be more similar to their natural habitat.

Over cleaning tanks for shrimp which rely on aufwuchs /biofilm and microscopic things we can't see with our own eyes is really crucial for their healthy development.

The growth and increase of these things with the addition of natural type leaves I think can help create better, more healthy livestock.

Even things like raising shrimp in tanks outside with real daylight and natural things finding their way into the tanks creates so much more vibrant and healthy looking inhabitants.

Seeing mostly Rachel O'Leary's posts year after year of her patio water gardens, or as she calls them summer tubbing, the fish and inverts look great. Very brightly colored and strong.

When I did my pond, my Ramshorn snails gained nearly double the size with lots of wood and leaves from the trees as they did inside.

Leaves I have tried initially were Indian Almond Leaves. In the quality of the leaves, I felt made a difference to the tank. The more healthy looking the leaves, the better I fell they were in the tank.

The first ones I got looked worn out and like they had already begun degrading before they were collected.

Then there were Alder Cones.

Oak Leaf litter, from other vendor and my own collections for years.

Bad time with some green leaves dried. I felt that these had more sugars and maybe a better food source for baby shrimp. The leaves harvested in the mid summer and dried did not do that well in the tank. The soured, like sun Tea left out for a few days.

Bought Guava leaves, Red, Black and Green.

More Alder Cones and now Banana Leaves.

Chance to share here
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f23/raok-5-packs-of-banana-leaves-ends-4-40-19-a-369217.html

So share what you like and don't, what you have tried and what you want to try.

Share pics if you have them!

60074-albums14774-picture72068.jpg

60074-albums14756-picture72065.jpg

I’ve used IAL, maple, oak, sycamore, mulberry, and various deciduous leaves. Mulberry breaks down the fastest (mostly because it’s food in the shrimp tank) followed by maple; sycamore is like leather and last for months. I cant really say which give off the most tannins but I believe IAL and oak do.
I have not tried mini IAL but that would look great as leaf litter in a flooded rainforest floor biotope.
Pic of my tank from last year IMG_6897.jpg

The mini IAL are great. Those are how I started using them again after the negative experience with the mucky big one. They are harder to find and more costly.

Forgot I have used Maple leaves from my yard and also Mulberry from a family member (who has sense moved away from the Mulberry tree).

Also I have some Gingko leaves I never used. Nervous as haven't heard anything about them, they seem to be good for people...

I have an expensive peel of bark from Catappa tree. Don't know if or what it has done for me...

***Also found my large bag of Guava leaves and will add some of those to the RAOK.

These were bought from JungleFowl, good seller sends good stuff.
https://www.jungleaquashrimp.com/driftwoods-leaves/natural-leaves/

I like the Guava leaves as they look nice. They seem to hold their shape and substance for awhile, then quickly disappear.

Jackfriut leaves too. Medium large, not as big as the traditional large IAL.

As for the tannins, also agree when adding a large leaf, more tannins, but a huge leaf too.

Anyone see this place yet? Many spendy items, also pretty cool looking. Worth a few carefully selected focal items in a nice display tank.

https://tanninaquatics.com/collections/aquatic-botanicals

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom