Need quick reply how long shrimp can live in baggie?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've never shipped but I know they do pretty well as long as they have plants to cling to and the bag has proper water to air ratio. They are pretty low impact. Depending on species and size.

Make sure the air had a high oxygen level and the bag has a plant and they should be God for about 48-72 hrs.

If you're driving home from a store with them, it's about an hour unless they use high quality bags, which most lfs do not.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree... shrimp (if bagged properly) should last days in bags.

That's for shipping, right? If you purchase from a store, can you still leave them in there for days?

I'd just like to clarify as I've always been told, and read on numerous forums, that the 1 hour limit is it for store purchases.

severum mama said:
I'm going to have to respectfully disagree... shrimp (if bagged properly) should last days in bags.

I'm guessing this is in breather bags?

Or standard bags pumped with pure 02?

Actually could you tell me the method you would use for future reference? :) thanks

I'm guessing this is in breather bags?

Or standard bags pumped with pure 02?

Actually could you tell me the method you would use for future reference? :) thanks

I typically ship small juvies in bags with adults so I go ahead and use breather bags just to keep the small ones from getting stuck in the folds of the bag.

In bags with O2 (which I use for larger shrimp like Amanos) they also do fine for days. I choose which bag I want based on the size of what I'm shipping.

In bags filled with room air (by an air pump) they will still last for days.

I will mention that it is always a good idea to get your shrimp out of the bags as soon as you can. Don't leave them sitting in bags just because it is possible.

Thanks for the clarification.

At my lfs, they don't even pump air of any kind into the bag. They just grab it quickly towards the top, so whatever air is contained, that's all you get.

Thanks for the clarification.

At my lfs, they don't even pump air of any kind into the bag. They just grab it quickly towards the top, so whatever air is contained, that's all you get.

I've shipped like that a few times, before I got the O2 tank here. You can still bag them well enough to last several days with this method, it's just a little more difficult than pumping air into the bag.

Our Petsmart uses an air nozzle and adds it to the bag before sealing. Four hours will be fine.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom