Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Invertebrates
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-13-2012, 02:39 AM   #1

Need quick reply how long shrimp can live in baggie?

Ow long can shrimp live In bag

Old 03-13-2012, 04:46 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've never shipped but I know they do pretty well as long as they have plants to cling to and the bag has proper water to air ratio. They are pretty low impact. Depending on species and size.

Coursair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:40 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Make sure the air had a high oxygen level and the bag has a plant and they should be God for about 48-72 hrs.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:58 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you're driving home from a store with them, it's about an hour unless they use high quality bags, which most lfs do not.
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:53 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree... shrimp (if bagged properly) should last days in bags.
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:55 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's for shipping, right? If you purchase from a store, can you still leave them in there for days?

I'd just like to clarify as I've always been told, and read on numerous forums, that the 1 hour limit is it for store purchases.
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
Old 03-13-2012, 04:57 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by severum mama
I'm going to have to respectfully disagree... shrimp (if bagged properly) should last days in bags.
I'm guessing this is in breather bags?

Or standard bags pumped with pure 02?

Actually could you tell me the method you would use for future reference? thanks
Old 03-13-2012, 05:04 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouser View Post
I'm guessing this is in breather bags?

Or standard bags pumped with pure 02?

Actually could you tell me the method you would use for future reference? thanks
I typically ship small juvies in bags with adults so I go ahead and use breather bags just to keep the small ones from getting stuck in the folds of the bag.

In bags with O2 (which I use for larger shrimp like Amanos) they also do fine for days. I choose which bag I want based on the size of what I'm shipping.

In bags filled with room air (by an air pump) they will still last for days.

I will mention that it is always a good idea to get your shrimp out of the bags as soon as you can. Don't leave them sitting in bags just because it is possible.
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:05 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Awesome thanks!!
Old 03-13-2012, 05:06 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks for the clarification.

At my lfs, they don't even pump air of any kind into the bag. They just grab it quickly towards the top, so whatever air is contained, that's all you get.

Tags
ick, live, long, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com