need some snail info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MMantelli

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well actually I just need confirmation. I went to my lfs to get some live pond snails for my assassins and my clown loaches. Well they gave me a mix of snails. I got a few basic pond snails, 2 ramshorns and a few mts. I know my plants are safe with the mts and pond snails but have heard that the ramshorns have been known to munch on delicate plants. Should I just feed the re amshorns to my loaches in my non planted tanks and the rest to my assassins in the planted tanks here's a pic of the snails. To verify I'm correct on there I'd.
ForumRunner_20130502_152336.jpg

Also how long can they survive like this if I change out a little of the water each day?
ForumRunner_20130502_153100.jpg

I have Rams horn snails in with all my plants and haven't noticed any issues. I would try and raise some snails yourself to feed you fish vs buying them at the LFS. Everytime you bring home snails you have the chance to introduce some sort of disease into your system.

Thank you and I didn't buy them. So the pond snails are going straight into the tank tonight. Should I raise the mts or the ramshorns in this?

ForumRunner_20130502_191255.jpg

This is just me, i would have a small tank set up for them just in case your assassin snails cant keep up with how fast they reproduce so your main tank wont get overunned

My shrimp tank and my cichlid tank that has some clown loaches in it. The tank with the asassind is a 20 and there are 4 of them they went through about a dozen pond snails in a week when I first got them. The reason I'm feeding them live snails is because they attack my corys wafers before they eat them. I watched an asassin suck one down in like 10min there the hikari wafers in the orange pack.

My shrimp tank and my cichlid tank that has some clown loaches in it. The tank with the asassind is a 20 and there are 4 of them they went through about a dozen pond snails in a week when I first got them. The reason I'm feeding them live snails is because they attack my corys wafers before they eat them. I watched an asassin suck one down in like 10min there the hikari wafers in the orange pack.

Everything loves those Hikari wafers!!! My shrimp like them more than their Shrimp Cuisine! Fish, baby fish, middle feeders go grab snacks from them, Amano shrimp are literally crazy for them, snails clean them up!!!!

Our local Petsmart will give you MTS when they have them in their tanks if you ask nicely.

Back
Top Bottom