Neo Shrimp tank water change - gravel cleaning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

earhtmother

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok so I have put off vacuuming my substrate as long as my OCD will let me[emoji37]
I have a 30g tall with large pebble gravel.& a bunch of moss balls on the bottom and clumps of jave moss & subwassertang that a start out on the 2 spiderwood tree branches but eventually end up on the bottom too.I'm on a well so no chemical additives but a TDD around 275/300. I do weekly water changes top ups with 50/50 tap & distilled. My shrimp are breeding as I see *fry* on a regular baais. I am planning on netting out the moss balls & clumps into a 5g bare bottom tank before doing any cleani. The I will use my manual Python(with netting over the suction end) to get as much crud out from between the gravel as I can. I will be suctioning into 5g pail(s) which I will let sit so any little ones that DO get caught up can be rescued. I will probably miss some but hopefully find most. I will refill the tank with my 50/50 mix and return all the moss and travellers back into the tank. I am switching out this gravel qith a more sand type one so hopefully this ki d of deep clean becomes only a yearly job.
Anyone have any suggestions to help with this process? I KNOW there will be many opinions expressed.

Are you changing the substrate now during the water change?

Generally it is less chance of a mini cycle if you go in stages in replacing the substrate.

Also the white bucket is valuable for watching for babies skittering around.

I prefer the swirl clock wise with 1/3rd bucket of water, more if the water is pretty clear.

Scoop out a big cup at a time or pour through a net. I generally try to shoo the shrimp to one corner with a bit of food to keep them busy while cleaning the substrate in the opposite corner/side.

A big magnifying glass is also helpful or excellent eyesight.

Usually

Substrate change is a few months in the future when I can move stuff outside since it will be a total tank change(30g to 55g) and room rearrangement. I will be keeping all the tank wood and plants as well as the filters and water so hopefully will be able to avoid the whole mini cycle thing. Have even considered adding extra old filter media in stockings to the back of the tank for additional help.

Hello ear...

The organic material that builds up on the bottom material is constantly dissolving and nourishing the plants. If you simply perform large, frequent water changes, you remove the excess nutrients and this guarantees a steady, safe water chemistry. You don't need to vacuum the bottom to maintain a healthy tank.

B

Know I don't have to but can only see the mulm(?) caught between the pebbles against the tank glass for so long before I have to remove it. And since the only plants I have are floaters or moss there isn't much to *feed*

Back
Top Bottom