Nerite snail question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hholly

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just bought 5 nerite snails for my 15gal freshwater tank. After I acclimated them and released them they cruised around the tank for a short while. Then they all climbed the glass and are resting under the rim above the water. Does this mean something is wrong? Water params are: pH 8, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 5, temp 80F. Any info or ideas are much appreciated.

Also, one of them did something weird in the sand before climbing the glass. It looked like it was shoving a mound of sand up in a small pile with its butt. Was it pooping?

Maybe the pH is higher than they were in, do you know what they were in where you bought them? How long did you acclimate them?
Were they in brackish water before?

I acclimated them for about 45 minutes by floating the bag and adding water at intervals. Far as I know, they came from freshwater at LFS. There were angelfish in the tank too. Could have been ro/di water though.

The snails are fine they will often leave the water and stay just above the water line. My snails do the same thing all the time and I have had them for years.

Back
Top Bottom