Nerite snail trying to escape?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kashif314

Aquarium Advice Addict
I bought three zebra nerite snails today. Added them to tank. One of them tried to escape. I put him back in three times but he was persistent. My water parameters are perfect. I don't see him in tank now. Two are still inside doing there snail things so I think one escaped and died obviously. I tried to find him but couldn't find him anywhere on floor etc.

Why he tried that and what shall I do to prevent others from doing this. I understand its there normal behaviour too but find this guy's behaviour strange that he didn't want to stay in tank.

Another question is that do Nerite snails eat black beard algae too or only green algae?

Is your tank rimless? How high do you keep your tank filled.....1/2 inch from the top.....1 inch from the top?

As bandit said co2. Try adding some airstones and see if it changes anything. My nerites will consistently go to the top. Half out of the water half in then head back down. I also have lids though.

They can close their operculum and stay moist for some length of time. Throw him back into the tank if you find him, and see if he comes back out later.

Snail may be trying to escape from too much co2??
Is your tank rimless? How high do you keep your tank filled.....1/2 inch from the top.....1 inch from the top?

As bandit said co2. Try adding some airstones and see if it changes anything. My nerites will consistently go to the top. Half out of the water half in then head back down. I also have lids though.
They can close their operculum and stay moist for some length of time. Throw him back into the tank if you find him, and see if he comes back out later.
Thanks a lot. Well they seem to to be troubled by co2 but they settle down after a while. When i turned on co2 in morning they came above water level but i pushed them back and after a while they settled and started grazing normally. I run airstone only at night. But i did see when i turned on air stone with lights on they went back inside water so i think they are more sensitive to co2 than fish. I am not running very high co2 injection.

Also please let me know if these nerites eat black beard algae or not? Thanks

only thing ive EVER seen eat BBA is a flying fox, if you get a good one, they will decimate it.

Back
Top Bottom