nerite snails and calcium question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paytertot

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I just bought four nerite snails. One of them I'm not sure is alive, I guess we'll see. But anyway I just read that having them with co2, which causes a low ph, will dissolve their shells. So is there a way I can add calcium in somehow so that doesn't happen? I read online that I can put rinsed off egg shells in my filter. Idk

You can add crushed coral in a media bag or a piece of aragonite (ex-live rock rubble). We have very soft water here (6-6.5 pH) and have no trouble keeping any snails, including nerites.

Well I have very hard water.. so would that be good enough alone? The thing is, I don't want to raise my ph much because I have discus in that tank.

paytertot said:
So I just bought four nerite snails. One of them I'm not sure is alive, I guess we'll see. But anyway I just read that having them with co2, which causes a low ph, will dissolve their shells. So is there a way I can add calcium in somehow so that doesn't happen? I read online that I can put rinsed off egg shells in my filter. Idk

I use cuttlebone in my tanks to help, a few of my snails eat off it including my nerites :)

If you have hard water, you are likely fine as is. Cuttlebone will also work as an added source.

Back
Top Bottom