Nerite Snails - Salt to Fresh?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shellieca

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am looking to get nerite snails instead of new Mystery snails for my two 10g tanks. My questions is I know the Nerite can be saltwater, brackish or freshwater, my tanks are fresh. In looking at them online I see they tend to be marine, can they go from salt to fresh without problems? Do I acclimate them the same as I would when adding a new fish or does something different need to be done if going from salt to fresh?

I would expect that not all nerite species offered for sale for SW aquariums can make the transition from SW to brackish to FW, or back, just like some puffers can transition and others can't, some gobies can and others can't, etc. Other than the species I regularly see in fresh water, I'd be hesitant to start transitioning nerites of an unknown/unconfirmed species from salt to fresh.

I regularly see zebra nerites (Vittina turrita), olive nerites (Vittina usnea), onion nerites (Vittina semiconica), and horned nerites (Clithon corona) in and sold for fresh water tanks, and recently I came across a new one, the black racer nerite (species unknown to me at this time). IMO, yer best bet would be to track one of these species down and order/buy it already preadapted to FW, rather than buyin' an unknown species and takin' a chance it doesn't fit.

WYite

Wyomingite said:
I would expect that not all nerite species offered for sale for SW aquariums can make the transition from SW to brackish to FW, or back, just like some puffers can transition and others can't, some gobies can and others can't, etc. Other than the species I regularly see in fresh water, I'd be hesitant to start transitioning nerites of an unknown/unconfirmed species from salt to fresh.

I regularly see zebra nerites (Vittina turrita), olive nerites (Vittina usnea), onion nerites (Vittina semiconica), and horned nerites (Clithon corona) in and sold for fresh water tanks, and recently I came across a new one, the black racer nerite (species unknown to me at this time). IMO, yer best bet would be to track one of these species down and order/buy it already preadapted to FW, rather than buyin' an unknown species and takin' a chance it doesn't fit.

WYite

Thank you, that makes sense & I will keep hunting for FW ones.

Back
Top Bottom