Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Invertebrates
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-15-2019, 09:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Nerite snails very inactive and acting strangely

I added 4 Nerite snails to my 3 Gallon Betta tank 2 weeks ago and they were super active and did a fantastic job of cleaning up my tank. I moved 2 of them to my 15 Gallon tank because I was worried that there wouldn't be enough food for them all in the small tank. I did my last water change for my small tank a week ago. I measured the water parameters yesterday and the pH is between 6.9 and 7.5, Ammonia is 0, Nitrites are less than 0.1mg, Nitrates are about 12.5mg and my tank temperature varies between 27C and 29C (it's summer in Taiwan and I leave the aircon on in my apartment to stop the water from reaching 31C). I have noticed that my 2 Nerites in the small tank have become very inactive for about 5 days - 1 has been hiding in decor and the other one actually froze in the same spot for a day half out of the water. I moved him back into the water and he moved about 2cm yesterday and has been in the same spot since. I notice that he looks a little weird at the base of the shell - it looks almost as if his foot is starting to come out of the shell. Is this normal? Are my snails just taking a rest or is there something wrong with them? There is enough algae because the tank is going all green again.

Old 08-16-2019, 01:47 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

How often and how much water are you changing?

Old 08-16-2019, 02:22 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I usually change water every 3 days and replace about 30%.
Old 08-16-2019, 12:12 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Try doing an additional couple water changes just to see if they perk up. I don't think they prefer warmer temps. And also even a slight amount of nitrite is not ideal.

If they DO perk up you will know it is a water problem.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
angel, nerite, nerite snail, nerite snails, snail, snails, strange

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com