Nerite snails very inactive and acting strangely

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cherisec

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I added 4 Nerite snails to my 3 Gallon Betta tank 2 weeks ago and they were super active and did a fantastic job of cleaning up my tank. I moved 2 of them to my 15 Gallon tank because I was worried that there wouldn't be enough food for them all in the small tank. I did my last water change for my small tank a week ago. I measured the water parameters yesterday and the pH is between 6.9 and 7.5, Ammonia is 0, Nitrites are less than 0.1mg, Nitrates are about 12.5mg and my tank temperature varies between 27C and 29C (it's summer in Taiwan and I leave the aircon on in my apartment to stop the water from reaching 31C). I have noticed that my 2 Nerites in the small tank have become very inactive for about 5 days - 1 has been hiding in decor and the other one actually froze in the same spot for a day half out of the water. I moved him back into the water and he moved about 2cm yesterday and has been in the same spot since. I notice that he looks a little weird at the base of the shell - it looks almost as if his foot is starting to come out of the shell. Is this normal? Are my snails just taking a rest or is there something wrong with them? There is enough algae because the tank is going all green again.

Try doing an additional couple water changes just to see if they perk up. I don't think they prefer warmer temps. And also even a slight amount of nitrite is not ideal.

If they DO perk up you will know it is a water problem.

Back
Top Bottom