nerites climbing out of tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stop.alvin

Aquarium Advice Activist
So i have these nerites in my 5 gallon and they keep climbing out. How do I prevent them from climbing out but still have no lid?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

You could try lowering the water level... I've had that same issue, but I just got a better lid for mine.

What are you feeding them ?

Check water conditions also.

Any fish harassing them ?

I can't imagine multiple Nerites surviving in a 5g. I had a single one and he wiped out the Algae very fast...refused any algae wafers and starved to death.

My next one I rotated between 3 tanks to keep him fed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could try lowering the water level... I've had that same issue, but I just got a better lid for mine.

+1 nerites like to hang out above the water line quite often so just try lowering the water level.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I had a Nerite climb out of the tank and end up halfway across the floor. I put him back in and put a lid on the tank, but there was a small gap where the filter was. It crawled out again, only this time my wife found it. She didn't realize it came from my tank and threw it outside :/

I had a vivarium tank with a Nerite snail and it was able to climb pretty high out of the water. I'd definitely recommend lowering your water level, but don't be surprised if it still climbs out. They can last a long time out of water, as long as they don't get thrown outside.

What are you feeding them ?

Check water conditions also.

Any fish harassing them ?

I can't imagine multiple Nerites surviving in a 5g. I had a single one and he wiped out the Algae very fast...refused any algae wafers and starved to death.

My next one I rotated between 3 tanks to keep him fed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have 2 nerites in the5 gallon
No fish harassing them
And I feed them algae wafers and lettuce

I don't have FW snails but my SW snails find ways out all the time , I find them in my sump and where ever they want to go.
in my overflow even on the outside glass , I just pluck them off and put them back in the tank , Snails are explorers they just go anywhere they want , they can go up to 2 weeks out of water as they have a water/mucus sack inside there shell to keep them moist , even if you let them wander on the outside glass they will find there way back into the tank as they can sense the water to re-hydrate , they wont wander to far away from the water, I just let mine do there thing , it's neat cleaning the outside glass seeing all the snail paths you can see where they come out and even go back in .
those stupid snails aren't as stupid as you think they are .

I have one that climbs out all the time. There is a gap for the filter, so I can't prevent it. I usually find it on top of the hood. I just put it back in the tank, but then I have to flip it and make sure it doesn't end up upside down.

I have one of these! Found it cruising along the kitchen counter once...

Back
Top Bottom