New Inverts.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Velociraptor737

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am intrested in getting some inverts in a 20 gallon tank. what are my options. I want to look into some lobsters/crayfish. Or maybe just some shrimp. Any advice?

Yup, my advice would be to visit the lfs with a pen and paper. Write down all the species names of the inverts that you're attracted to. Come back and research them to see how large they get, how many you can have, etc.

Definitely if you have a good LFS do that. I don't, so if thats you, I'd just google everything possible Start with planet inverts (website) to get the feel for some available inverts.

For a 20, if you have appropriate Tankmates, I'd start a colony of CPOs or Dwarf Cajun Crays. Very cool species.

i not planning on having fish with them..and what is LFS?

Local Fish Store.

and I am actually working on getting me a shrimp tank but with fish. I am going to buy red cherry shrimps.
they are beginner shrimps and they breed easy.
down where I live most stores only have ghost shrimps.
so i have to get mine online

Freshwater Shrimp Information | TheShrimpFarm.com

^^^check this site out. it has some information about freshwater shrimps

Many Crays and Long Armed Shrimp are predators and will kill fish.

Red Cherry Shrimp (RCS) are super peaceful and much smaller. You can have 100 in a 20g no problem. Minor bioload.

Too many choices till you narrow it down.

OR you can go with half crayfish half shrimp,

the Macrobrachium species.

Shrimp with CLAWS wont get eaten by fish and cant eat quick swimming fishys.

Attachments

• macrobranchium horstii 2.jpg
    macrobranchium horstii 2.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 201
Oi. That certainly isn't safe for other inverts, nor fish. Especially in a planted/well covered tank.

Veto on that with other organisms. Lol.

Oi. That certainly isn't safe for other inverts, nor fish. Especially in a planted/well covered tank.

Veto on that with other organisms. Lol.

haha, other shrimp no. not even with it's own species.
these Marcrobrachium Horstii are very aggressive and even pinched me.

As long as you feed them well, they usually dont bicker too much.

Who wants some? :D

I got a bunch. Females dont have big claws

this is a pic of the female

Attachments

• marcrobrachium horistii female.jpg
    marcrobrachium horistii female.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 84
They are pretty cool. But they do look like mean buggers lol.

If you're interested in crays for a community tank you want to look into cambareullus shufeldtii (aka cajun cray) and cambarellus patzcuarensis (aka CPO, dwarf patz, or mexican cray).

If you're interested in crays for a community tank you want to look into cambareullus shufeldtii (aka cajun cray) and cambarellus patzcuarensis (aka CPO, dwarf patz, or mexican cray).

can you mix CPOs with RCS or Bamboo shrimps? and MTS?

can you mix CPOs with RCS or Bamboo shrimps? and MTS?

They are fine with MTS and other snails. I've never tried with bamboo shrimp but since the crays are much smaller I think that would probably be OK. I've kept crays and dwarf shrimp together in a larger community tank, but if you cram a bunch of them together in a small tank, something like a 10 gal, I would expect a bit of shrimp murder. I often see other hobbyists keeping the crays with valuable shrimp like CRS so they must be having good results. But it's not unusual for mature crays to pick off very small crays, so the same must happen with the shrimp.

They are fine with MTS and other snails. I've never tried with bamboo shrimp but since the crays are much smaller I think that would probably be OK. I've kept crays and dwarf shrimp together in a larger community tank, but if you cram a bunch of them together in a small tank, something like a 10 gal, I would expect a bit of shrimp murder. I often see other hobbyists keeping the crays with valuable shrimp like CRS so they must be having good results. But it's not unusual for mature crays to pick off very small crays, so the same must happen with the shrimp.

oh okay thanks! i shall do more research on CPOs then =p

Back
Top Bottom