New to cherry shrimps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Like mentioned an algae wafer or cucumber/zuchini would work. If they aren't interested then they won't eat it and it means there is enough biofilm. It regenerates and shrimp are tiny. Every piece of gravel,plant, decoration, filter tube, and tank wall will get a biofilm so there is a lot in there

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ok thanks for that if I do feed them I'm planning on feeding them granule food which is tetra prima but I was wondering how long to keep the food in the tank for?

Like coursair said sometimes it takes them a while to really come out once they are first introduced. If you see molts in there it is a good sign.

Also leave the molts. They also eat their own molts too- so they might have enough of that too. Eating the molts helps them with calcium that they need

But wouldn't they be settled in now it's been a week? They are also active running around from plant to plant.
Yeah they are defo molting they been doing that since I got them.
Yeah I do leave them in there

Also i came home today to see one of my shrimps had died :/
It was my most reddist shrimp out of all of them....
I dont know why it died but i had notice that it had a white band around its body near where the eggs are carried for a couple of days.... (i dont know if it was female)

I checked in the morning it was fine but when i came home i saw it lying on the sand dead

I usually leave the flakes/granules until they are eaten. Veggies usually 24 hours

Have you tested your water parameters lately? Shrimp are pretty sensitive to ammonia

I usually leave the flakes/granules until they are eaten. Veggies usually 24 hours

Have you tested your water parameters lately? Shrimp are pretty sensitive to ammonia

Oh ok but leaving your flakes or granules in the tank until they have been eaten foul your water?

Yeah my water is fine plus I just did a water change yesterday so that can't be the caused....
Has it got anything to do with the White band around it body?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Well you should only feed what they will eat within 5 mins or so. Leaving it will eventually cause problems if you are over feeding

Well you should only feed what they will eat within 5 mins or so. Leaving it will eventually cause problems if you are over feeding

But with my shrimps they don't notice the food straight away it takes them a while and it takes them a while to eat the food....
I only feed them 1 or 2 granules like yesterday I only put one in and it took them a while to notice and eat it but it was gone in about 2 hours or so....

Any then about the thought on the dead shrimps and the White band on it?

Like when I feed them just now it took them around about 2 hours just to notice there was food around and then start picking at it slowly and there is still food there that they are picking at....
How do I get them to notice them food quicker?

I know it's stressful when you start keeping them but they really are hardy. Have you thought about a shrimp feeding dish?

I also have things like almond bark in my tank so they have something to graze on.

I know it's stressful when you start keeping them but they really are hardy. Have you thought about a shrimp feeding dish?

I also have things like almond bark in my tank so they have something to graze on.

Yeah it is very stressful :/
You say that but aren't they sensitive?
What is that and where can I get that from? Also how will that help with my feeding problem?
I do have plants and moss that they eat of

When they are hungry they show up fast. Shrimp can smell food fine.

So I'm guessing they aren't hungry then?
But if they won't eat then how will they grow and start breeding?

Also any help on why my shrimp died :'(

A feeding dish can be any nearly flat surface such as a saucer. Just a place that you place and monitor food. RCS are less likely to haul off food like an Amano shrimp.
Of the 15 RCS I purchased from an LFS, 10 died. Mostly after molting. I got about 20+ from an AA member and they grew and reproduced. Perhaps they were treated better than at the LFS.

A feeding dish can be any nearly flat surface such as a saucer. Just a place that you place and monitor food. RCS are less likely to haul off food like an Amano shrimp.
Of the 15 RCS I purchased from an LFS, 10 died. Mostly after molting. I got about 20+ from an AA member and they grew and reproduced. Perhaps they were treated better than at the LFS.

Oh ok I need to find something like that...
But I just don't think they are hungry enough to run toward the food straight away and I don't know why :/

Like it will take them a while to notice the food and a while to eat it but in the morning all the food will be gone

Also can anyone tell me if this shrimp has eggs inside her? I have 1 or 2 shrimps like that

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421349723.820439.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421349732.851044.jpg

Nope, looks like she "saddled". Eggs are carried between hind legs.
View attachment 261170
Blurry pic, but shrimp in front has eggs.

Ahh ok that's fine I was just wondering if they were eggs.
So does that mean the shrimp will be pregnant soon?

Also why are my shrimps never hungry to eat the food I put in?

Ahh ok that's fine I was just wondering if they were eggs.
So does that mean the shrimp will be pregnant soon?

Also why are my shrimps never hungry to eat the food I put in?

Yes, those are the undeveloped eggs in the ovaries.
I believe that depends on if makes are present to fertilize them.
How often are you feeding them? I feed mine every 2-4 days. Not all the shrimp react to food present in tank; some go into a scrambling mode searching for food. The snails, on the other hand, go crazy.
More info: http://www.planetinverts.com/Red Cherry Shrimp.html

Yes, those are the undeveloped eggs in the ovaries.
I believe that depends on if makes are present to fertilize them.
How often are you feeding them? I feed mine every 2-4 days. Not all the shrimp react to food present in tank; some go into a scrambling mode searching for food. The snails, on the other hand, go crazy.
More info: http://www.planetinverts.com/Red Cherry Shrimp.html

Yeah that's what I meant thanks cuz I was just wondering never seen any yellow stuff inside them before.

I think they are defo males in the tank so they should be fertilise right?
By them developing eggs is a sign that everything is well right?

I feed them 3-4 days if not a week cuz whenever I put food in they don't seem to notice nor do they go crazy about it but after a while they will start to graze on it but everything will be gone by the morning....

Yeah I have already read that article thanks though :)

Two quick suggestions.
1) a way to help make sure shrimp are healthy is to add a bit of blanched kale. This provides them with the necessary calcium and a grazable food source. I was having problems with shrimp dying and I could figure out why. Turns out they were missing molts. I started adding kale and they started molting like crazy. I put in a piece about half the size of a dollar bill. It takes a few days, but when they start eating it they take it down.
2) Water changes help to stimulate molts. In order for a shrimp to become 'berried', or pregnant, they must first molt. I try to do a 20% once a week. They next couple days there are always molts littering the substrate, which I leave in for them to munch on and get more calcium.

Turns out that those weren't such quick suggestion... Hope it helps though!

Two quick suggestions.
1) a way to help make sure shrimp are healthy is to add a bit of blanched kale. This provides them with the necessary calcium and a grazable food source. I was having problems with shrimp dying and I could figure out why. Turns out they were missing molts. I started adding kale and they started molting like crazy. I put in a piece about half the size of a dollar bill. It takes a few days, but when they start eating it they take it down.
2) Water changes help to stimulate molts. In order for a shrimp to become 'berried', or pregnant, they must first molt. I try to do a 20% once a week. They next couple days there are always molts littering the substrate, which I leave in for them to munch on and get more calcium.

Turns out that those weren't such quick suggestion... Hope it helps though!

Thanks for the reply. What is kale is that broccoli? If not where can I get it from?
When I feed them I give the granule food mostly as it it has more protein in it but it does take them a while to find it and eat it...

As for the water change I defo do water changes every week for sure without fail so I guess that's fine. I just did a water change today.
Does that mean the shrimps that is saddled should berried in a few days after molting?

Back
Top Bottom