New to crabby life?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishyLove6283

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys!
I just recently set up a 20 Gallon tank and fell in love with the fiddler crab at my LFS. The ones in the tank at the store didn't have anywhere to get air, but of course my scatter brain didn't think to ask if they needed that until I was home googling fiddler crabs and staring at a poor crab trying to climb up the air tube): I panicked and quickly put a plastic plant in the aquarium that reached up to the top of the tank, and luckily she figured it out and went straight to the top. She's been up there ever since and I can tell she's been eating, but after this experience, I worry about her constantly. I'm worried that she might not be able to climb up and down the plant! So I need to ask, should I just take the poor thing back because my tank isn't adequate for her? Or is this set up alright? The last thing I would want to do is keep her here if it's not safe for her): thanks for your time!

You could get some rocks like lava rocks and make an island for her. Also aren't fiddler crabs brackish?

That's a good idea, do you think an island would take up too much room at all? And I've definitely heard that and I asked the saleswoman at the fish store and she said these guys didn't need Brackish water. I was a little hesitant with her answer so I googled it and grew frustrated quickly because there is so much controversy on the subject/:

Yeah I was shocked when I saw the price! Thank you guys so much:) so does anybody have any decision on Brackish or not? I've heard people claim they don't need brackish but I've also heard that they died a couple months later... But I feel like brackish would be so hard to figure out/:

For brackish you will need a refractometer to measure the salinity and you would need marine salt to achieve brackish. I'm not sure of the exact salinity but it's somewhere in the 1.005 range. I don't know which test kit you use to test the water ether. My guess is a sw test kit

Either return him or pick up a 5 to 10g tank and go from there. Make a crabitat!

You are seriously blowing my mind AGAIN! I just realized I already have a 5 gallon tank that I could turn into a crabitat!! Haha thank you so so much!!!

No problem! I don't know squat about brackish so you may wanna do some research or post in the brackish section with a title like " need help with ins and outs of starting brackish"

Back
Top Bottom