New to mystery snails...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cnicole516

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I have had an "inca" snail for a few days now. When I got him, he was very active and practically did laps around the tank. I did my weekly water change yesterday and ever since he has been inactive. He hid in his shell awhile but today he has been stuck to the glass and a significant amount of what I assume is waste was coming out. He is sunken into his shell and not moving. What does this mean? Also-calcium. How can you give snails calcium without affecting your fish? Or do fish benefit too.? Thank you for helping ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392600163.851792.jpg

All mystery snails go through frequent episodes of inactivity. Older snails do it more often. They will close up for days or even float. Have you checked your water condition? They are sensitive to high nitrates. If your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate are fine then the snail is just going through a dormant period. You can use antacid tablets like Tum's, human calcium supplements, eggshells, cuttlefish bone, crushed corral, seashells, drywall plaster, and plaster of Paris for calcium supplements. They will not harm you fish. They are all just calcium carbonate which is made from oyster shells. My fish eat the antacid tablets too.
On applesnail.net they have a lot of recopies for snail food if you are interested.

All my parameters are where they should be, nitrates aren't high either. Thank you for your help, I woke up this morning to find him out and about again after floating last night.

Back
Top Bottom