New to Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jetstorm369

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys, I plan to have ghost shrimp in my new 55g freshwater community tank. In it, I will have neon tetras, rasboras, corys, Malaysian trumpet snails, otos, and a pleco. Will the shrimp get along with the species listed? Also, how many ghost shrimp should I get so that they'll be comfortable I'm numbers? Thanks for any advice!

Hey guys, I plan to have ghost shrimp in my new 55g freshwater community tank. In it, I will have neon tetras, rasboras, corys, Malaysian trumpet snails, otos, and a pleco. Will the shrimp get along with the species listed? Also, how many ghost shrimp should I get so that they'll be comfortable I'm numbers? Thanks for any advice!

Yes ghost shrimp should be fine with those species ... The only ? might be the rasboras. Just ensure you provide plenty of hiding places via plants, DW and rocks.

Shrimp are great, I started with ghost shrimp in a 10gal ... Now I also have Amano, Bamboo and an RCS ... Maybe ... Haven't seen it in a couple of weeks.
In a 55gal you can start with dozens upon dozens ... But maybe start with 20. If most survive the adjustment, then you can consider some more. In a 55gal ghost shrimp may all but disappear on you, especially if it's planted with decor
But you'll catch them scampering around.

Personally, in a 55gal with that stock, consider a few Amano shrimp as well ... More pricey than ghosts, They're algae eaters that'll also scavenge, and they're bigger than Ghosts. Once your tank is well established .. Give it a few more months ... then look at bamboo shrimp.

Yes ghost shrimp should be fine with those species ... The only ? might be the rasboras. Just ensure you provide plenty of hiding places via plants, DW and rocks.

Shrimp are great, I started with ghost shrimp in a 10gal ... Now I also have Amano, Bamboo and an RCS ... Maybe ... Haven't seen it in a couple of weeks.
In a 55gal you can start with dozens upon dozens ... But maybe start with 20. If most survive the adjustment, then you can consider some more. In a 55gal ghost shrimp may all but disappear on you, especially if it's planted with decor
But you'll catch them scampering around.

Personally, in a 55gal with that stock, consider a few Amano shrimp as well ... More pricey than ghosts, They're algae eaters that'll also scavenge, and they're bigger than Ghosts. Once your tank is well established .. Give it a few more months ... then look at bamboo shrimp.

Thank you for your thorough advice, sir.

I have a Bamboo shrimp pair and Ive never seen aggressive behaviour from them, I find them to be fearless though when I clean the tank, fish, and RCS would be darting away they will sit, till you move them out of the way lol

Lol that's gotta be pretty interesting to see... Thinkin of adding one or two to my tank and wanted to make sure there wasnt gonna be an issue with my platys :)

HopefulHobbiest said:
I have small fish in my tank... Are bamboo shrimp aggressive or predatory at all? (55g tank btw)

Great shrimp... I have two and they at peaceful and always out visible. They filter microorganisms from the water column, so an established tank and a filter with a good current's real helpful.

Bamboo shrimp are fun to watch. Select one which has some color and looks very active (sitting stationery with fans out eating is what I mean by active). Not predatory at all have little fans not pincers, so even though they are or can get rather large they wouldn't bother your fish on the contrary they might bother the shrimp!

Please wait a good long time to get some age on the tank and they are sensitive to poor water quality.

For sure get the Amanos. You could have 5 or more. Mine love the Hikari omnivore sinking pellets.

Which kind of Rasboras are you thinking of? I have mine with Harlequin in a well planted tank and I have never seen any issues. 10-12 or more Rasboras for your size tank.

Have you considered Cardinal Tetras? I have a tank with very similar fish to what you are thinking of in my JEBO tank, only 35G though, searching for a good deal on a 46G.

Please research your Plecos/options most will get to gigantic proportions. Bristlenose regular.... or Albino are gorgeous, kinda orange colored and there are ones with blue eyes too (L144- Blue-eyed ancistrus pleco). msjinkzd has some of those.

Your welcome! Shrimp are just a cool active addition to some tanks ... And you'll find out why shrimp oly tanks are becoming more popular.

My next tank (20 long in storage) will be mostly a shrimp tank. Looking to start a colony of RCS's, a few Amano's, a couple of CRS's and later on bamboo & vampire shrimp(tough to find). I stock some cardinals and H.Rasboras.

+1 with the Amano's just mentioned above. Very fun and active shrimp ... Much more active than Bamboo.

I keep bamboo, amanos and ghosts in my 46 gallon community tank. They are so much fun and really fascinating to watch. The bamboo adds so much flavor to the tank.

Back
Top Bottom