New to snails and shrimp need help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moncrief2315

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi. My wife recently bought three green spotted puffers and they came with some rams horn snails. I’ve never kept snails before so I’m not sure if there alive or not. And if shrimp are good for gsp’s and how to keep them. This is all new to me any advice would greatly be appreciated. Thanks. IMG_0001.jpg

Welcome to the watery world of fish and invert keeping!

You can raise the snails for the puffers ( if they are alive). The crunching of the shells is good for the Puffers.

You should see the RH snails gliding around at some point, or possibly the Puffers ate them already.

You can pic some out of the tank and look inside the shell opening. Does the shell look like there is a snail inside?

You can keep a separate tank for the raising of snails. Or meet someone who has too many pest snails and wants to sell them because they are too plentiful.

Welcome to the watery world of fish and invert keeping!

You can raise the snails for the puffers ( if they are alive). The crunching of the shells is good for the Puffers.

You should see the RH snails gliding around at some point, or possibly the Puffers ate them already.

You can pic some out of the tank and look inside the shell opening. Does the shell look like there is a snail inside?

You can keep a separate tank for the raising of snails. Or meet someone who has too many pest snails and wants to sell them because they are too plentiful.

Thanks so much This helps a lot. They must have eaten them already since the shells are on their side and not moving. There doesn’t seem to be anything in them The only other tank I have is a cichlid tank. could I keep some snails in there to raise for the puffers until I get and set up a tank for them. ? Thanks again.

Thanks so much This helps a lot. They must have eaten them already since the shells are on their side and not moving. There doesn’t seem to be anything in them The only other tank I have is a cichlid tank. could I keep some snails in there to raise for the puffers until I get and set up a tank for them. ? Thanks again.

Snails are like popcorn or a box of chocolates for them! It doesn't surprise me at all the shells are empty!

You can do a posting (either here, or local FB, or Aquarium Society groups, or from CL) for pest snails.

Locally is advantageous so there wouldn't be any shipping cost. Sometimes the lfs will scoop you up a bunch and give them to you or charge you a fairly small amount for them.

With 3 Puffers, you will need a decent size tank (at least 10G) to really get the population going. Up to you if you'd rather try other foods than raising snails. They would probably only be the treat foods as you would need a great number of them. Lots of food and lots of cozy warm water and a good filtration system and maintenance schedule.

As for the Cichlid's tank, the water parameters would be good for them, I am not familiar with the Cichlids snail eating interests though.

Back
Top Bottom