Newbie, needs help with snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shorty13

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am new here, and I have a question... I have recently acquired 3 brown, tiny, possibly baby pond snails. They are living in a 1 cup mason jar for now, and are alive and very active. I would like to know how I could decorate their temporary home, and if I should upgrade. (please do not send me hate, because I know the dangers of tiny homes. I actually wrote a letter to Petsmart, Jack's, Walmart, and Meijers because of the treatment of betta fish. I also know that bowls are bad...)

Thanks!
-Shorty13:fish2::fish1:

First of all, I think it's great you are ready to take care of them. I have similar snails in my back yard. Do you have access to their source water? I'd get them a bigger place to live and add more of the water from where their from and have fun keeping them.

The one's I've kept in my house from my back yard need little oxygenated water. Take a plant from the water and put it in with them. They should thrive.

Welcome to AA and thanks for the question!

Thanks

Thanks! My mum said that I could use our spare ten gallon... We couldn't find a good lid to our original 10 gallon, so we just bought an entirely new tank and only used the lid, so now we have a leftover tank. (We got a betta in may, so that's what is living in the original tank) I don't have access to their original water supply, but I've been using the tank water because it is already dechlorinated, and they seem to be doing fine. Also, the other day I saw a teeny tiny baby snail (not much bigger than the end of a fork tong). I got the snails from wegerzen gardens, because they were having cleaning day at their pond, and were giving away algae and snails.

They are not fussy about water. So long as it is not acidic, they'll be fine. They are very prolific, and you will soon have many of them. They are hermaphrodites, meaning they do not need to mate, but they like to mate, it gives them genetic diversity.

They can survive in quite horrible conditions, but prefer clean water. Some moss will be very appreciated if you have any. Feed very sparingly, they eat anything at all, dead plants, fish food, etc. They are actually a Bladder snail, and are one of the quickest moving species of snail around. Very common, often called pond snails, but even though you can find them in ponds, pond snails are another, larger, species.

They don't get much past a quarter inch in size, give or take. They are capable of producing enormous numbers of themselves in the right conditions, which is why many fish keepers don't especially care for them,but they are good at cleaning glass and leftovers in a tank. I've had them survive for months in a quart size deli cup with some moss and no extra food at all.

Back
Top Bottom