Odd Colored Shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AliGee

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I have a colony of Blue Pearl Shrimp. Two of my shrimp have grown up from fry to look like this. They are -not- sick. They are blue with black stripes and red and yellow dots along their entire body.

I can get a better picture if necessary.

They started out really ugly and I thought they would color up as they got older - but the black, yellow and red has only gotten more prevalent. They are now freaking AWESOME looking!

Is this some sort of mutation that can happen or just a bad line? The colony started from four different lines of Pearl shrimp from four different breeders.

image-2177289780.jpg

No idea! But I'm following because that is an extremely awesome looking shrimp! :)

So I have a colony of Blue Pearl Shrimp. Two of my shrimp have grown up from fry to look like this. They are -not- sick. They are blue with black stripes and red and yellow dots along their entire body. I can get a better picture if necessary. They started out really ugly and I thought they would color up as they got older - but the black, yellow and red has only gotten more prevalent. They are now freaking AWESOME looking! Is this some sort of mutation that can happen or just a bad line? The colony started from four different lines of Pearl shrimp from four different breeders.

If you have the means, I would move those 2 out and maybe see if you can repeat them!

Deviations happen within colonies, that's how the different colors of shrimps we have today came from. For example: the RCS you see today came from random shrimp that had red color (wild Neos are brown). After years of selective breeding with those deviations, the repeatable RCS we know today happened! My friend had a colony of Black Crystals and from out of nowhere he had 2 or 4 Blue Crystals. Just one happy accident that occurs!

I would be very interested to know if this could be repeatable or if there is a strain like this that already exists!

You can try putting them in a breeder box with some moss and see. As far as neo variations go, I've seen a lot people come up with stuff like this but frequently it is an unstable mutation and the next generation returns to "standard" coloring.

The crystal blacks that were referred to earlier- Crystal Blacks and Reds come from the wild bee shrimp. They were selectively bred for their colors. The blue variation is called "shadow panda" and is a called a Taiwan Bee. They are awesome shrimp! There are a few variations of Taiwan bees, among them, wine red, shadow panda, blue bolt, King Kong etc. I've seen them pop up out of nowhere. They're very expensive, too.

That's a strange picture. Did you edit it to blue out the other items?
I did not do any editing to the pic... Straight from my iPhone. Well, besides the fact that I did BLUR the items around the shrimp. But I did not do any color editing. Here is the pic before the blurring. In fact, this picture doesn't do justice to the red, since my iPhone isn't great enough to pick up the major difference in black/red spots.

Now that people are more interested and it's not just me I will remove them and try to take better pictures.

image-3749800598.jpg

I did not do any editing to the pic... Straight from my iPhone. Well, besides the fact that I did BLUR the items around the shrimp. But I did not do any color editing. Here is the pic before the blurring. In fact, this picture doesn't do justice to the red, since my iPhone isn't great enough to pick up the major difference in black/red spots. Now that people are more interested and it's not just me I will remove them and try to take better pictures.

Oops. There was a typo. I wasn't questioning that you edited it, I just thought that you blurred it but I wasn't sure.

Oops. There was a typo. I wasn't questioning that you edited it, I just thought that you blurred it but I wasn't sure.

Ahhh! Yes, I indeed did. No other editing though. And this was taken from a good 8 inches away so it's not a very high quality shot.

i hope that this is a new mutation you should really try to multiply them as it could $$$ benefit $$$ you in the future.

love all the different colors

Very cool and hoping to see better pics. You said thry came from 4 different strains of pearls? Who knows what got mixed in there lol I would love to see these bred however!

Back
Top Bottom