Oddball for shrimp aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CoreySheli

Aquarium Advice Activist
I currently have a Walstad method 3-5g bowl housing 6 blue velvet shrimp and 1 rams horn snail (snuck in on one of the plants.) It is heavily planted with a lot of java moss, an amazon sword, hydrocotyl, water wisteria, Pygmy chain sword, duckweed (snuck in on some other plants) and a peace lily. It looks like a jungle and I love it but I rarely ever see the shrimp. I've had them for a day and I saw them a lot yesterday but not today, which probably stems from all of the hiding places. I was thinking about getting 2-3 dwarf crayfish for the tank too but I don't want them eating all of the potential shrimp babies. Are there any invertebrates (besides other shrimp) or small oddball fish that have an extremely small bioload and won't eat the shrimp babies? I know Otos could work but everyone has them. I'll post pics soon

I currently have a Walstad method 3-5g bowl housing 6 blue velvet shrimp and 1 rams horn snail (snuck in on one of the plants.) It is heavily planted with a lot of java moss, an amazon sword, hydrocotyl, water wisteria, Pygmy chain sword, duckweed (snuck in on some other plants) and a peace lily. It looks like a jungle and I love it but I rarely ever see the shrimp. I've had them for a day and I saw them a lot yesterday but not today, which probably stems from all of the hiding places. I was thinking about getting 2-3 dwarf crayfish for the tank too but I don't want them eating all of the potential shrimp babies. Are there any invertebrates (besides other shrimp) or small oddball fish that have an extremely small bioload and won't eat the shrimp babies? I know Otos could work but everyone has them. I'll post pics soon

I've heard of people having success keeping Thai Micro Crabs in shrimp tanks. They are pretty small and translucent so maybe not the visual affect you are looking for though...

I've heard of people having success keeping Thai Micro Crabs in shrimp tanks. They are pretty small and translucent so maybe not the visual affect you are looking for though...

Oh yeah I was looking in to that but I can't get them here

IMG_4569.jpg
I decided to go with crayfish. I got 2 females and 1 male, is exes them myself. It was hard because they are so small and not as easy to sex as the larger crayfish but doable. I'm hoping they'll breed also and I know babies will get eaten but I think there is more than enough hiding places. It took me a good 10 minutes of looking to even find one of my adult shrimp
IMG_4570.jpg
This is a pic of one of the blue velvet shrimp. I have a tiny basket under a ton of java moss and it seems to be the place to hang.
Sorry for the bad quality, it's all in a bowl and so close up it was hard to focus as is

I'll get a full tank shot in the morning and get it form different angles too.

Back
Top Bottom