Opae Ula new tank checklist

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kinetikx

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone, I'm new to shrimp, but not new to aquariums. I've always kept freshwater, but its been about a decade since I've had a tank running so I'm a bit rusty. I'm using this experience as a jumping off point before I decide if I want to eventually start a reef tank.

I'm in the process of gathering everything together so I've decided to come to the experts to make sure I haven't forgotten anything.

I'm going to be using a 16 gallon Biorb. (I've always used traditional rectangular glass and wanted something different, and also want a smaller footprint since its going to be kept in my bedroom). I understand they have limited filter functionality. I'll do some modification if necessary.

The supplies I already have are:
-Instant Ocean sea salt
-Red lava for substrate- about pea sized. (The larger size is needed due to the filter in the Biorb
-Rocks (Lava, sandstone, dry fossilized coral)
-API "quick start" for cycling
-API 5-in-1 test strips (see below for my plans to get Salifert test kits)
-Black sea fan skeleton
-Marimo moss balls (just because I think they're interesting)
-API "algae eater" wafers
-Omega One "veggie rounds"

Things I'm planning to buy:
-Milwaukee digital refractometer
-Salifert test kits (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH)
-Water. Either distilled or RO/DI
-Macroalgae
-TDS meter (probably not necessary but I've been reading a lot of reef related forums so I may have been hypnotised into thinking in need one :)
-Shrimp (well duh, but I don't know how many yet)
-Possibly a small clump of java moss. Some information I've read discourages plants in the tank so maybe not.

Now here are some questions I have for down the road:
-I'm assuming that the LED lights included with the Biorb are rather weak. Should I consider something more powerful in order to grow algae better? The tank is going to be about 21 inches deep/tall and I'm thinking they weren't thinking people actually wanted to grow algae. I'm considering some sort of par38 led fixture.

-Should I really concern myself over using either distilled or RO/DI water? I know that reef aquarium people prefer RO/DI and it may not be a huge issue with Opae Ula, but would either provide any benefit over another in this sort of tank?

-How many shrimp would be good to start with, and how many could a 16 gallon eventually support?

So that's what I have planned so far. Any glaring omissions or bad choices? I'm trying to do things correct from the start, and some of these choices may be overkill but remember that my eventual goal is to start a reef tank.

Thanks for reading this ramble :)

Back
Top Bottom