Perfect Shrimp Tank?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There are maybe a dozen pea size snails in there. This is most of them in a pile. IMG_7712.jpg.

Also one rouge MTS, Pond and Ramshorn.

It's a 20 long

Last edited:
That might be too much if only for the shrimp, but with the snails, (pretty little poopers), they might need more food when those MS get larger.

I am guessing the MS eat most of it. Shrimp are lucky to get some before the snails travel to the food dishes, and then in between the MS :).

You must be doing things well as you have dramatically increased the population. I owuld vac the front area of the sand every few months just to try and make sure there isn't any nitrate fodder. I have some issues with too much organic material building up because I tend to ove feed.

Your glass dishes seem they would keep any mess /leftovers mostly contained. Then if not eaten, removed. I would still fast them once in awhile, maybe every 10 days.

Thanks. I am terrified to vacuum. Some of the babies are so small I wouldn't see them. I have white buckets so anything with color I could pull out of the bucket. But they are almost translucent at first. Is there a trick to clean the sand and not massacre shrimplettes?

Yeah, it is pretty easy once you get the hang of what you are looking for.

White bucket is ideal.

Just for practice scoop up shrimplet and put it into the bucket about a quarter full of tank water. (You can put him back when you ae finished.)

Stir in a circle gentlly but enough to get the water going (in a circle).

Then watch how the shrimp darts/zig zags around, and out of the circle/flow of water. That is how you will see when you have a baby, or a shrimp which accidently gets sucked up. It will not stay in the circle flow, but dart out and then you scoop.

When you do the water change/vac you can also pour the majority of the water out, through a net to catch anything alive. In that case, let every thing settle until it is still, then pour out all but a few inches of water (through the net).

Add anything in the net to a cup with a few inches of water in it like a Starbucks Trenta cold cup, strong and clear.

First, try and wave away any of the shrimp that are scurrying over to get some goodies, or better yet place a wafer at the back of the tank to get their attention away from the front. Wave away stragglers with one hand and vac with the other.

Any how when you get to the bottom of the muck use a tall SB cold cup and check each scoop, verify if necessary.

There is a really good reason to get a container of frozen cream puffs from the grocery store freezer section....besides, just eating them, they generally come in a squarish tub and it is white. Perfect for pouring a cup of muck and watching for any zig zagger shrimp up close.

You will get the hang of it, just stay out of the plant leaves with the vac. And vac just the front bare area, where you feed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom