Perfect Shrimp Tank?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autumnsky

Site Team
What do you know/think makes a perfect shrimp tank?

Recently began preparring for a new tank and new type of shrimp, and there are soooo many choices.

Substrates, and substrate additives - mindblowing.

Decor: DW - Spider, Malaysian, Manzanita, local, stone -Dragon, Ohko, Seiryu, Petrified Wood etc.

Plants wow are there options. Ferts?!

Co2, dosing carbon, or not.

Low light - medium or high

Additives, like leaves, mineral ball type stuff...

Water vitamins, carbohydrates, other crazy stuff.

Crazy amount of special foods too. Staggering.

I have been keeping shrimp for almost 5 years, primarily the Noecaridina, but venturing into the Caridina again.

Feeling I have been moderately to very successful with many kinds of shrimp, I haven't had most of these super special things helping me (or helping empty my wallet of $).
<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>

What is /has worked for you and what do you like and why and if you have something that didn't work, what was the issue if you know?

What is your perfect tank?

Here is a pic of one of my very successful tanks a long time ago. 2013 Had 120 Nice Red Cherry Shrimp about half adults and half babies/juveniles.

60074-albums9764-picture50416.jpg

60074-albums9764-picture61198.jpg

I also feel that there is a pressure to make the tank a nicely scaped tank but not always the best tank for the shrimp or nano fish. An experience I had breaking down a tank yesterday made me think of that.

Last edited:
What do you know/think makes a perfect shrimp tank?

Recently began preparring for a new tank and new type of shrimp, and there are soooo many choices.

Substrates, and substrate additives - mindblowing.

Decor: DW - Spider, Malaysian, Manzanita, local, stone -Dragon, Ohko, Seiryu, Petrified Wood etc.

Plants wow are there options. Ferts?!

Co2, dosing carbon, or not.

Low light - medium or high

Additives, like leaves, mineral ball type stuff...

Water vitamins, carbohydrates, other crazy stuff.

Crazy amount of special foods too. Staggering.

I have been keeping shrimp for almost 5 years, primarily the Noecaridina, but venturing into the Caridina again.

Feeling I have been moderately to very successful with many kinds of shrimp, I haven't had most of these super special things helping me (or helping empty my wallet of $).
<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>

What is /has worked for you and what do you like and why and if you have something that didn't work, what was the issue if you know?

What is your perfect tank?

Here is a pic of one of my very successful tanks a long time ago. 2013 Had 120 Nice Red Cherry Shrimp about half adults and half babies/juveniles.
60074-albums9764-picture59828.jpg

60074-albums9764-picture59828.jpg

I also feel that there is a pressure to make the tank a nicely scaped tank but not always the best tank for the shrimp or nano fish. An experience I had breaking down a tank yesterday made me think of that.

Don't feel pressured to do a fancy scape [emoji846]

I would always use s bit of wood in a shrimp tank just because I think they have more fun clambering on it. I think spider wood is pretty awesome.

Mosses are pretty good at catching small particles that feed shrimp. I've never fed my shrimp anything exclusively. When the tank matures they will find food.

I've only ever had red cherries and Amano so probably the two easiest but I feel that less is more and keeping things simple is better.

I would always use co2 in my tanks from now on just because it helps to keep plants healthy and healthy plants define the environment giving oxygen to your critters and the bacteria that are keeping your fish safe. I'd want to give my plants the best possible chance of success.

Honestly I am glad I had the tank set up aesthetically how I envisioned. Now that there are shrimplettes in there I am afraid to touch anything.

Judging by your post and tanks You seem to have the system down lol.

I think the thing that has helped my RCS shrimp the most is not aggressively trimming my java moss. Originally, I had got a golf-ball size piece from the LFS and positioned it next to a piece of driftwood on the side of my original tank. It eventually started to grow quite a bit when I repositioned my HOB to improve flow, and when I began moving everything to the new tank, I grabbed the piece of driftwood closest to it. The whole clump of moss came with it (it completely rooted in, my java moss basically has a handle!) and DOZENS of shrimp started scattering out into the tank... I didn't think I had so many! In the new larger tank it's positioned further away from the edge and it's the size of my head fully spread out in the current. Constantly covered in shrimp, some of them never leave it (I have a couple with identifiable marble patterns) unless there are algae wafers near it.

Honestly I am glad I had the tank set up aesthetically how I envisioned. Now that there are shrimplettes in there I am afraid to touch anything.

Touching upsets the shrimp cart!! Beware!

A good point, the shrimp will love a minimally "cleaned" tank. I mean not scrubbed all around and vac'd all the time. They usually like a consistent but smaller pwc providing all the parameters are good and the tank is running on auto pilot.

Recently when I had to change tanks and in many previous shrimp tank changes/upgrades, there have been issues. This time recently, I think that the removal of the masses of plants will set me back. But then changing the substrate is always a cycle hiccup. So I did a couple things which I didn't really want to, but it was in the process of getting a better shrimp tank.

In this last case, better I guess wasn't really better for the shrimp but for me, and the future shrimp keeping for that colony. Sorry Tangerine Tigers.

Normally there is a rotation in my tanks for cleaning or changes, to not do too much in one week. Kinda like one change per week (to 10 days) to help the tank accomodate any differences with a filter clean, plant trim, bigger water change, substrate clean, etc.

For visually appealing qualities, I love to have something to build the tank around like a plant, or DW or stone. And then the other parts tend to fall into place.

Hello! Im new to the forum here. I am just starting a shrimp tank. I have some anacharis and a teeny bit of Mondo grass from my last tank (had a cold winter and my heater stopped working while i was away). I have been reading and feel a bit overwhelmed by all the information out there. Im wondering what type of substrate you use and also if you put any beneficial bacteria down before you put it down. Also do you top it with small gravel or just leave it be?

And also what kind of plants do you find are shrimp favorites? All i have are the anacharis and a lil bit of mondo grass that survived the cold when the rest of the tank died. I want to order more or find someone with extra that i could buy some off of.

And also what kind of plants do you find are shrimp favorites? All i have are the anacharis and a lil bit of mondo grass that survived the cold when the rest of the tank died. I want to order more or find someone with extra that i could buy some off of.

My favorites, I believe the shrimp get the most enjoyment out of would be the Subwassertang aka Susswassertang. Mosses.

Susswassertang creates innumerable spaces for the shrimp to harvest aufwuchs (tiny microscopic things they eat) and will actually catch food (but don't overfeed) and they spend time searching through looking for bits.

60074-albums14480-picture70548.jpg

~~~~~~~~
And not a live plant but also dried leaves, I use Oak leaves, have used a few other varieties of hardwood leaves and Mulberry. Adding leaf litter in tanks has been shown to improve survivability in fry, both fish and shrimp, due to microscopic and tiny critters and ability to grow infusoria.

:eek: Be cautious about harvesting leaves from yards and maintained areas, as some systemic fertilizers, pesticides are used and absorbed through the root system and could get into the leaves. Then added to your tank. Also cities (and gardeners) will use liquid spray / foliar fertilizers /pesticides sprayed onto and absorbed through the tree's leaves.

Here is one of the articles I read a while back
Leaves for Aquaria (Full Article) | Details | Articles | TFH Magazine®

I am hoping to buy a Ginkgo Biloba tree this year so I can harvest its leaves and maybe an Alder & Beech tree too. Already have Oak and Maple.

~~~~~

Oh, Bethanne, Mondo grass really isn't a underwater plant. It will likely start to die. You can grow it out of the top of a HOB filter though.

Well it may not be mondo grass then. Thats what i was told it was when i bought it. A few died but this one is quite the survivor. I am looking for some 4-6" tall plants to add height difference to the tank, need some suggestions!

I will likely buy leaves from an aquarium store as i dont have a single tree on my whole place. I still have a while before i need them as i have to buy substrate and set up the tank first. Then let it cycle, then add the shrimp. Im very excited to get it done but i want to do it properly. Ive never done a planted tank really before. Ive just had a few random plants here and there within my fake plants.

Well it may not be mondo grass then. Thats what i was told it was when i bought it. A few died but this one is quite the survivor. I am looking for some 4-6" tall plants to add height difference to the tank, need some suggestions!

Crypts - Cryptocoryne wendtii Green, Bronze, Brown, Red, or Tropica (at times also referred to as Bronze).

Edit - Or Java Fern variety on a chunk of DW or a rock.

Sand, Caribsea sand (Instant Aquarium ready to use, no rinsing), Eco
Complete would be fine for substrate. I have used Petco sand, Eco and Up Aqua Sand. Up Aqua Sand is nice, good for shrimp tanks, they really like it.

I will likely buy leaves from an aquarium store as i dont have a single tree on my whole place. I still have a while before i need them as i have to buy substrate and set up the tank first. Then let it cycle, then add the shrimp. Im very excited to get it done but i want to do it properly. Ive never done a planted tank really before. Ive just had a few random plants here and there within my fake plants.

That is okay, we all start somewhere!!!

How often should Shrimp be fed? I started with 10 in October. I put the food in tonight and half hour later I counted 72. I worry if I don't feed enough the youngsters will die. But if I overfeed I could kill everything. How do you figure out the right balance?

I thought it looked like a lot of shrimp in that tank!!!

Most often feed daily, although, very lightly. Less than I think I should (I'm always over feeding the fish). Make sure they get food with some meat in it, not just algae tabs.

Seaweed Extreme is a great addition to the shrimp tank, will help them have great color maybe because of the Astaxanthin, which is good for the shrimp.

Keeping good water with frequent changes and not scrubbing off too much stuff or any in the tank so the babies have good micro foods, aufwuchs.

I have been keeping up with water changes and canister rinse. I will keep film off the front glass but nothing else is vacuumed or scrubbed. I have been feeding a combo of the Hikari Crab food, API algae wafers and the spirulina algae supplement with calcium from Aquatic arts. A few bits of each nightly. I have seaweed and will offer it tonight instead of the other greens. With fish we are told not to feed more than they can eat in 5 minutes. I generally feed the shrimp about 8pm and it's gone the next morning. I'll take pics tonight of what I am feeding it's hard to describe.

Here is a pic of the usual feed. I will skip a day if I see anything left from the night before. I try to target feed in glass dishes to insure the food goes into the critters and not dissolved in the sand. IMG_7737.jpgIMG_7738.jpg

This is seaweed on the glass weight. The crab pellets and the spirulina algae pellets.

Too much? Not enough?

Last edited:
Here is a pic of the usual feed. I will skip a day if I see anything left from the night before. I try to target feed in glass dishes to insure the food goes into the critters and not dissolved in the sand. View attachment 296015View attachment 296016

This is seaweed on the glass weight. The card pellets and the spirulina algae pellets.

Too much? Not enough?

How many snails and any other critters than the shrimp? What is the tank size again?

That is a good reminder for me seeing you using the glass dishes. Somewhere I have a little round one.

Back
Top Bottom