pest snail problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishkeeper90

Aquarium Advice Freak
so we got new plants about month ago and have become what we would say over run with pest snails in our breeding pleco tank what can we use to get rid of them that wont hurt pleco eggs .... have read assassin snails will eat pleco eggs hence asking how else to get rid of the snails

Natural predators in a breeding tank are trouble almost no matter what kind.
IMO you have 2 choices ; manual removal with traps ,veggie ,by hand or using copper...
Not sure if copper is safe for eggs but in most cases the amount needed to kill snails will not effect fish. You need a test kit to know how much you have installed [do not trust directions] and then you need to change water enough to know you removed it all or use cuprisorb to remove it .Like salt it never goes away..

Maybe increase the water changes and vac'ing to get out the excess food leftovers.

Reduce excess feeding whenever possible. Like when there aren't eggs or babies. Also my pond snails like to gather on a Cuddle bone and I just take them off and (feed them to my Clown Loaches).

Maybe increase the water changes and vac'ing to get out the excess food leftovers.

Reduce excess feeding whenever possible. Like when there aren't eggs or babies. Also my pond snails like to gather on a Cuddle bone and I just take them off and (feed them to my Clown Loaches).
we have set up different wave makers around tank to get rid of the left overs ... i think now they have started to breed i dont think we wont have eggs for a while .... we have got clown loaches but in a different tank ...we have joked about putting a cpl of them in there for a cpl of hours to get rid of them but then dont wanna stress them as i know they can get stressed easily

I just got this in the mail today and I loaded it up and put it in this evening. Hang tight for review, but if you can’t wait you tube is very favourable.
Gravel vacuuming helps a lot as well if you don’t mind getting you hands wet.
IMG_0192.jpg

I just got this in the mail today and I loaded it up and put it in this evening. Hang tight for review, but if you can’t wait you tube is very favourable.
Gravel vacuuming helps a lot as well if you don’t mind getting you hands wet.
View attachment 308513
thanks ... we dont have gravel as its a breeding/fry tank so we need glass bottom with the amount of babies in there aswell as adults .... i also looked on youtube yesterday for diy snail traps and watched the one with the bottle might try it

Back
Top Bottom