Planaria and Hydra / liquid treatment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autumnsky

Site Team
Safe-Guard® Goat Dewormer, Fenbendozole 125 mL is a liquid suspension, already dissolved (have to shake of course) and ready to use. Works great. Suspension 10% (100 mg/mL)

1 cc = 1 ml

A friend of mine ask me about this so I thought I would share it for everyone else. I fought these things for weeks if not a couple months, sucking them out even several times a day and watched my shrimp population decline steadily. Stopped feeding so much and did weekly pwc every 3-5 days (did this anyways since it is shrimp tank) and couldn't get rid of them. Don't like using meds for no good reason!

Personally I used 1 dose for Planaria (I understand it may require an additional dose for Hydra).

After, (over night), I saw only couple bumps in the tank, like they had withdrawn and after I got back from work, 12 hours after treatment, not one specimen, nothing. I tested for an ammonia spike due to die off, and I didn't have one.

[Three tanks of varying sizes were treated. I am neither a Doctor nor a Pharmacist. And this is simply relating my personal experiences. Please do your own research and make your own decisions for treatments -disclaimer ;) ]

After 2 days did normal pwc. Did a couple of extra pwc to clean up the water.
During treatment, left the filter running to make sure to kill anything in there. Stirred the sand (with a chopstick) a couple times after the first dose, and in the morning, again when I got home just for good measure.

At this dose, I had no loss of shrimp or snails, in three tanks. This has been, months ago and they have never returned. It did however seem to get rid of a little tiny worm in the sand, very fine and thin, and what I was told was a detritus worm - FYI

Sorry - an over feeder...reforming.

The detailed info below comes from SolvingNormal (Thank you!)

If you're using the 1% solution (1 part 10% Safe-Guard wormer, 9 parts tank water) so that you have a solution with 10mg fenbendazole/cc, you can use the following formula:
0.25*v
where v is the volume (in gallons) of the tank you're going to be treating. Thus, for your 16 gallon tank, 0.25*16=4, so you would use 4cc of the 1% (10mg/cc) diluted solution.

If you wanted to use the straight wormer (100mg/cc), use the formula
0.025*v
again, where v is the volume of the tank to be treated. For a larger tank, like your 30 gallon, this may be more practical. In this case, 0.025*30=0.75, so you would administer 0.75cc of the straight 10% Safe-Guard (100mg/cc) solution. I still recommend taking a bit of tank water out first to mix the 0.75cc dose up in, then pouring it all back into the tank, just so that it disperses more evenly, but you don't have to.

Anyways, here are the numbers:

If using a 1% (10mg fenbendazole/cc) solution (using it diluted):
16g: 4.0cc
30g: 7.5cc
35g: 8.75cc

If using a 10% (100mg fenbendazole/cc) solution (dosing it straight):
16g: 0.4cc
30g: 0.75cc
35g: 0.88cc (rounded-you don't have to be perfect)

(You may notice it's just a factor of 10 - all that happens is that the decimal place moves over one digit when we diluted it to a 1 in 10 solution)

****Note to others who may find this thread later - the formulas here are applicable only for the goat formulation of fenbendazole, which is a 10%, or 100mg/mL, solution (and which I like, because it dissolves so readily in water). If using the dry granules (generally sold for dogs), they are a 22.2% product, with 222mg/g, and must be dosed differently.

I saw the liquid Dewormer on eBay and was wondering about it. Thanks for the very informative post!

Thought I would make note here that the liquid goat dewormer is a completely mixable formula with better suspension and more accurate dosing, and an easy % to adjust the numbers for your tank.

Treating the puff Biube tank today. I got the liquid 10% (100Mg/ml) in suspension. The powder was tough to dissolve.

Took 9 ml of water out of the tank and mixed it with 1ml of the fenbendozole.

Calculated 9 gallons would be treated with 2.25 ml of the now 1% solution.

Everything was well shaken. Added it a few hours ago and I see planaria cruising. I hope they are expiring.

No signs of stress for the puff or amanos. Will plan on doing a PWC Sunday.

Treating the puff Biube tank today. I got the liquid 10% (100Mg/ml) in suspension. The powder was tough to dissolve.

Took 9 ml of water out of the tank and mixed it with 1ml of the fenbendozole.

Calculated 9 gallons would be treated with 2.25 ml of the now 1% solution.

Everything was well shaken. Added it a few hours ago and I see planaria cruising. I hope they are expiring.

No signs of stress for the puff or amanos. Will plan on doing a PWC Sunday.

Good extermination to you.

My tanks treatment will probably need to wait.

Old bottle is expired a long while now (maybe 2 years or a year and a half) and would hate it to be toxic funky. Must buy a new bottle and treat, 12G Edge PRL - maybe next weekend since I have so many tiny baby shrimp I rather wait a little longer.

Catch 22 perhaps... treat with very tiny babies, theoretically could have an issue, but do not treat and could have Planaria snack foods. :facepalm:

The best price I found was on Etsy. "Cheapest livestock dewormer"

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a helpful thread..
I need to treat 1 of my tanks for hydra as they seem to follow one of my fish...
I wonder if some fish eat the hydra and then expel it or eggs later....

I’m pretty sure that in addition to snail fairies, planaria and hydra are toted about by small trolls.

I second that whole heartedly - I *want* to treat but since I am constantly seeing "teeny tinys" I have held off

When I fed last night a few planaria surfaced. And I see one cruising the tank wall this morning. When I feed tonight, if I see more, should I dose again?

50% PWC and vacuum today. Still see planaria. Treating again 2.25 ml. Watching the tank to see if Igor or the amanos look stressed.

Original recommendation is for 2 treatments, and I can't recall at this moment but pretty sure no water change in between was called for. In other words we are not "supposed" to worry.

Oh geez, I missed the 2nd dose. Should it have been done about 12 hours after the initial one?

TMaier - Did you remove any carbon? Or other binding media?

This article says you can treat every 24 hours for a few days.
Guide to Planaria and Hydra Elimination - Aquarium Advice

Also I stirred the sand with a chop stick to hope that It would get any in the sand bed. May add an additional dose of Prime to mitigate nitrate release. Tmaier in the tank with new sand maybe not be an issue as much.

For anyone who is reading this later...
Depending upon the age of the sand bed and whether you normally ever disturb it, you may want to use caution to avoid a huge release of gases, Nitrates.

***If you have greenish pockets or black ones in your sand, I would NOT stir the substrate.

Last edited:
Only biomedia in this tank. Nothing else. Very course sponge on the bottom with subtrat pro on top. Undergravel filtration pulling all the water down thru the media and up that central bubble tube in the Biube. Totally missed that I could dose daily.

I did a second dose tonight and about a half hour later fed I’gor. Planaria arrived right on que. I guess I’ll be dosing again tomorrow!

Back
Top Bottom