Planning Out a Shrimp Tank/Microfish Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for some of the feedback guys. I'd love to still get a bamboo shrimp, but would it be too cruel to put one in a 10g? My main reason for wanting microfish and shrimp would be to create more things for the bamboo shrimp to eat. I've heard that there migjt be another dollar per gallon sale in January sometime, I just don't know where I could put a 20g vs where the 10g already is.

Also, there's been no copper meds, etc
In the qt tank. The only med I've put in there is prazipro.

I see both sides to adding fish first vs shrimp first, and I'm still not decided which I'd want to do first heh, but I'll definitely try to up the shrimp numbers. My lfs sells them at $5 a shrimp, is that about average? Any recommendations for cherries from a reputable, but perhaps cheaper source? My lfs sells amanos cheaper than cherries :p

If the bamboo shrimp is out of the question completely (boo! :c ), is there another invert or fish possibly to add as a "centerpiece" of sorts? Would a single mystery snail be too poopy? Or a single nerite snail? I've just heard mixed things about snails being beneficial or too poopy.

You know who's too poopy? Otocinclus! I was siphoning poop so often! They overshadowed nerite and mystery for poo. I never knew they were such poo machines. After that, I'll take mystery and nerites with a smile. Really not noticeable in a 5.5g for those two snails. I think you'll be ok.

That should be plenty IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

+1
Those bamboo shrimp are very crafty feeders. Theyll find that flow wherever it is. Its nice to have a decoration infront of the flow as it encourages them to feed out in the open but not necessary. I find mine on plant leaves and even under plants wheres theres decent flow.

I would also agree with fish then rcs then bamboo.

- St Charles Almendras Geraldizo

If I can still house a bamboo shrimp in a 10g, I've got a nice piece of spiderwood I can put near the filter outflow as a perfect camping spot and a nice flat rock to help out too.

I can also crumble up algae wafers for it to eat too.

As much as I'd love to keep a bamboo shrimp, I don't want to be cruel, and as much as I'd love to pick up a 20 long when petco starts its dollar per gallon sale, I don't know where I could put it! As a 20 long as the same footprint as a 29g I believe?

Hello everyone! I just purchased the 20 long the other day, and bought a storage table thing so I'd have something to put it on hehe :p I just put in the order on Amazon for a fluval c2 filter since it seems much like an upgraded aquaclear. I plan to go get the plants on Wednesday and I'll start cycling whenever the filter shows up!!

I think I'll go fish, rcs, then bamboo shrimp once the plants and bioflim have grown a little :) sooo excited!!

Congrats on the new tank. You may want to allow some time for the biofilm to build up before adding the RCS. Transferring some decor, rocks, or driftwood from an established tank will be helpful in making the new tank less "sterile" as those are often coated with biofilm.

Well, I started tank set up last night! I'll take a better picture when I can, all the pictures on my phone look bad haha. I used a layer of laterite, a few balls of osmocote plus (not too many), and capped it with at least 2 inches of black sand. There's a few rocks, driftwood and some plants :) still waiting on the filter to arrive from amazon haha

I went to the lfs and saw some really cute dwarf cory species! Not sure how many, but I think I'd like to add some corydoras habrosus to the stocking list :D more research necessary. Anyone know if they're good with cherry shrimp?

They might get some fry/smaller shrimp but probably not all of them. :)

I really hope that rasboras don't eat the cherry shrimp! I've heard sort of mixed things. That the emeralds WILL eat the shrimp, or at least just some of the shrimplets, but then i watch videos on youtube and so long as everyone is fed both seem to coexist just fine? The emeralds also seem just as big as the shrimp!

Anyway, I think I've revised my stocking to:
x1 bamboo shrimp
x1 zebra nerite snail
x15 red cherry shrimp
x10 corydoras habrosus
x10-15 dwarf emerald rasboras

AqAdvisor says my stocking is only 62% but I can't think of anything else to put in there aside from maybe more exotic inverts :p I think I want to keep my fish species more to a minimum, and just add more rasboras or cories

That seems very reasonable. It's going to be fun seeing the final result!

The finnex stingray came yesterday! Yay! Excuse the really sad looking plants, a few of my crypts are melting. They should bounce back to normal within a week or two? How's my scape? First real scape of mine!!

ZR9ircA.jpg

Looks nice! What do you think about the Stingray? I got one for Christmas, still trying to figure out what tank to use it on :hide:

I've never used an led light fixture for a tank before! I hope it does well :D I only have low to med light demanding plants so I hope it works out nicely. Very slim and unobtrusive! It really lights up the tabk.

That is a sleek fixture!
The only thing I don't like about glass tops and mounted lights like this is the reflection from the lights. I've gone topless but did not like the evaporation. So the glass tops went back on. One thing I did was cut a thin strip of blotter board (like poster board but heavier) the length of the light and about 4-5" wide and placed it in front of the light fixture. It actually leaned against the light and was behind the glass top handle. It does a good job blocking reflected light. I do have to remove it when opening the lid but then again, I add fish food and ferts to the open area at the back of the tank/lid.
Hope this makes sense.
Plants look fine.

Back
Top Bottom