Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Invertebrates
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-29-2013, 09:49 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

thinking of using driftwood from here, thoughts?

Driftwood,sale,malaysian driftwood, cholla,

Old 04-29-2013, 10:15 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

also sorry for the 50 questions, what are some good substrates for foregroundingplants etc? i have gravel in my main tank so my dwarf baby tears grow a little slow

Old 04-29-2013, 11:43 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

The TruAqua 8.6g is 11.81" long. Although the Finnex Ray 2 double daylight is 16" long, the LED strip underneath the aluminum housing is 10.5" long. The docking legs are adjustable, you'll just have the fixture stick out the sides a bit.

What type of shrimp do you want to keep? And is this build a "planted tank" first with shrimp secondary? Or is your primary plan to keep and breed shrimp as the main goal and plants as secondary?

The cholla driftwood is great for shrimp. It lowers ph and gives shrimp a place to breed.

Substrate... UP Aqua shrimp sand has been getting A LOT of buzz lately in the shrimp forums. Looks like Aqua Soil without the spike in ammonia. Also doesn't disintegrate as easy as Fluval shrimp stratum. However, you can go with ADA AS, Fluval Shrimp Stratum, or Eco Complete as my suggestions if the UP Aqua shrimp sand doesn't appeal to you.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:46 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

i think its a primary planted tank with shrimp but i will breed them as well, i went and ordered the 12 inch finnex 2 so it should fit over the tank better or should i have gone with the 16
Old 04-30-2013, 12:21 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Well the 12" Finnex Ray 2 is half actinic, which is an intense blue light that is meant for saltwater. I think you should get the 16" or any other light that has a kelvin rating between 6500K to 10,000K.

The reason why I asked about whether the planted or shrimp aspect takes precedence is because shrimp do not do so well in high co2 environments. They generally need lower pH, lower kh/gh, and lower TDS. But this also depends on the species of shrimp as some or more sensitive to those conditions. The "Neo" as in Neocaridina species of shrimp, such as Red Cherry, Yellow, or Rili, are more hardy so those would be your best bet if you want to go 'high-tech' in terms of a planted tank setup. If you want to breed the shrimp, you should aim for a low TDS below 200 too. The UP Aqua Shrimp Sand, Fluval Shrimp Stratum and ADA AS have buffering capabilities to help lower the pH as well. Adding in an indian almond leaf along with that cholla wood are also great at conditioning the water to a lower ph.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:30 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

yeah i plan to breed RCS or something similiar, ill be getting a cholla wood with the moss on it, and a matt of glosso but not sure what other plants to get

Tags
plant

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com