planted fry tank has snails!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chandaf

Aquarium Advice Newbie
:banghead: I'm not really sure what I should do here. I like snails, but these are pond snails in my 10g planted fry/nursery tank. I don't want their population to explode when I'm already seeing damage to my plants, but Idk about an assassin snail. I don't think there are a lot of snails, I've only seen like 3, but I just don't know. :confused: Any advice?? :thanks:

Place some lettuce in there (weigh it down) and the snails will collect on it. Promptly remove next day (or next opportunity).
Snails in a fry tank are not a bad idea as they will consume uneaten food.

Use the lettuce to catch the ones you don't like. They might help with left overs enough to assist with water quality

Sure why not they are harmless. What are they gonna hurt. Just help keep any uneaten food cleaned up. Probably grinding up flakes right? Wont own a tank with them.

Sure why not they are harmless. What are they gonna hurt. Just help keep any uneaten food cleaned up. Probably grinding up flakes right? Wont own a tank with them.

Eating my plants, over populating. Those are my concerns. I have a foam cover on my hob filter intake so I'm not worried about that.

Your tank your decision. Never seen one eat a plant that wasn't dying.

It's not exactly well established. Been up and running for about 2 months. Idk anything about snails other than what I've read trying to find out about them. I have lettuce in there and will see how many I have already. Do you think my upside down catfish or goldfish would eat them if I put them in my 55gal?

Gold fish and cats won't eat them. If you dont want them just trap them.

Back
Top Bottom