Please advise on care for my new, rescued, snail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CPryor

Aquarium Advice Activist
Questions first, story to follow: how can I "rehabilitate" a snail with poor shell condition? I saved some egg shell to boil, crush, and put in my filter tomorrow. I gave him a smushed pea for tonight, and figured I'd get some zucchini tomorrow for extra calcium. My PH is about 6.8 - slightly acidic, but not too bad. Anything more I can do to help the little guy?

Long story short: I did an "impulse rescue" today and took home a snail that a lady brought in and begged me to take (I work at a chain pet store). She said it was eating her live plants, which I've heard only starving snails do....it's shell is in pretty bad condition too. Acidic pitting, weird scrapes (one partially healed, one fresh). I haven't gotten the best look at it - after getting out of the tupperware, into the plant tank for the rest of my shift, into a plastic bag, and into my home tank, I figured I'd give him some time to adjust before examining him. I did get a picture of him though, as he came out to take a shy peek-about. You can see the old scrape mark and some of the pitting here:

91042-albums13841-picture66359.jpg

Mystery snail, right?

Feed veggies with calcium. Also if your tap isn't soft then just stick with regular water changes and he'll rebuild his shell in no time.

+1 on the veggies, i feed mine blanched kale and spinach which has calcium in it, i also feed crab cuisine it contains calcium too my snail's love it. You can also add cuttlebone as well.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thank you for the advice! I did a water change yesterday and got my water tested...everything looks ok, but I might have to fiddle with the pH/kH levels: both are just a tadddd low, and since the new addition has some acid pitting already, I want to bring it up a bit. I'm thinking about crushing up some sea shells for my filter, since I read they dissolve slowly. Does cuttlebone work the same way?

I'll get him some kale or spinach today. Yesterday morning, as I went to take the pea out, I found him munching away happily on it....so funny to see!

Cuttlebone can help slowly increase your ph. Good luck :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

PLEASE DONT TAMPER WITH YOUR pH!!

You have to understand the relationship between pH and KH/GH.

In simple terms a higher kH buffers your water and reduces/eliminates pH swings. There are a lot of factors involved and not explained easily by a novice by me lol

Try this article!

http://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/ph/113548-understanding-ph-kh-gh-home-aqauriums.html

In my opinion a stress free environment and supplemented calcium will make your snail happy. ?

Back
Top Bottom