Pond and Ramshorn Snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mama Karoti

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a planted tank and have had what I thought were pond snails for a long time now. I tried preventative measures when I got new plants, but nothing worked and I finally just got some assassin snails, which I have enjoyed having and they keep the snail population at almost nil.

About a month ago I got some new plants from a different LFS than usual and put them in my 10 gallon QT. With them came four small snails that looked different than my other pest snail population. Did some googling and realized I've had ramshorns all along and these four new ones are pond snails. I have seen no eggs or tiny baby snails yet, unlike with the ramshorns, but I don't delude myself that there won't be. That's ok--I can just feed them to my assassins in my big tanks.

But I have to say, I'm kindof enjoying these little pond snails. They are much more active than the ramshorns, have pretty shells, there aren't a million annoying little ones all over the place (yet), and they are keeping my QT nice and clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Trust me, in about 3 days you will have 20+ more of these snails. They are cool but they make babies faster than any invert or fish ive ever heard of.

Assassin Snails are so awesome :D
Just grab a few more if they spring out of control!

I threw four of them in my main tank with the assassins and found an empty shell already the next day.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom