Pond Snail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

julia7665

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

My daughter brought a snail home from school after learning about an ecosystem. She didn’t come home with any information on how to care for it or what it eats. At the time it came in a pop bottle with the top cut off and it had small little fish and some plants in it. The little fish are long gone and I was told by my daughter that the snail would eat them. Well, we haven’t done much with it other than top the water off when it gets low. The water started smelling and I had to clean it out. I replaced all the water but I have no idea what it is supppsed to eat. From looking online, I think it’s a pond snail. My other question is whether I can put the snail in with our goldfish. Any insight at all would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Goldfish generally enjoy making a snack out of small to medium snails.

Do you have a pic? If you have a nice large tank, you might consider trying a acrylic clear breeder box and adding a little plant, moss, Subwassertang, DW and/ or small stone, to make him a mini interior safe space aquarium room.

Or they can just live in a glass container, like a planted bowl.
Old thread but lots of ideas!
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/planted-bowls-256693.html

I just bought a little plastic container with a lid for him. I don’t have a picture with me, but he is small. Do I fill it up with water or only have water on the bottom? I got little mini algae wafers and he ate some of the goldfish flakes I put in there. Right now I have rocks from the fish tank in his little container. I will look into finding some moss and other plants. Thank you for the information.

Goldfish generally enjoy making a snack out of small to medium snails.

Do you have a pic? If you have a nice large tank, you might consider trying a acrylic clear breeder box and adding a little plant, moss, Subwassertang, DW and/ or small stone, to make him a mini interior safe space aquarium room.

Or they can just live in a glass container, like a planted bowl.
Old thread but lots of ideas!
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/planted-bowls-256693.html

Flake food turns to ammonia pretty quickly /more water the better if it IS a pond snail, Ramshorn, or similar water snail.

A good food for a snail would be Crab Cuisine from Hikari - it has more mineral content to assist in keeping a healthy shell. It costs about $5. for a package. Other fish especially bottom feeders including the Goldfish would enjoy too and it is a sinking food.

If you already have Hikari Sinking wafers then you could use a little tiny bit of it in between.

If you can do a image search and see which kind of snail it is for sure that also helps in advice.

Pond snail is also called bladder snail too.
Ramshorn /(online saw the supplier for schools Carolina Biological has kits for classes).
Japanese Trapdoor snail
Malaysian Trumpet snail
Mystery snail

And if it is a small snail maybe a 1 mm piece of one of their pieces every 2-3 days, if it is a Mystery Snail, then it might need to be a little bigger piece.

Back
Top Bottom