Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Invertebrates
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-12-2017, 09:54 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Poorly Amano shrimp- need some help

I have a 20gallon tank with 4 platties and 4 amano shrimp. I purchased some new plants from pets at home and with 20 minutes my shrimp were all laying upside down looking very unwell.. after some googling I quickly established it could be pesticides or fertilisers on the plants so I removed the shrimp and currently have them in separate bowl in some tapsafed water and removed the plants from the tank. The shrimp are still alive 48 hours later and no longer upside down but not very active and not interested in food. Does anyone know if the will recover or are they physically alive but damaged from whatever poisoned them? Thanks! 😊🦐

Old 09-14-2017, 08:57 PM   #2
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Did you talk to the shop about what might be on the plants?

Old 09-23-2017, 03:24 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Frequently plants are dipped into a snail killer. Not good for shrimp.

Could contain copper.

Plants could have come from a tank that was being treated. With a copper based mediation.

Maybe you can find out if the store was treating any illness in the tank.

Imported plants are often treated for snails and pests as a requirement for importation to a country. The residue in the container could have been dumped into the tank as well.

Did you add any of the fish store water into the tank?

You can buy a pouch of Cuprisorb by Seachem which absorbs/binds any loose copper. Often used in SW, but I had to use some in my FW tank when I wasn't paying attention and used a med which actually contained the ingredient.

Keep the Amanos water as clean as possible to give them the best chance of recovery.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 09:52 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

They could be adjusting to the water quality. Whats your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph levels?

Tags
amano, amano shrimp, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com