Poorly Amano shrimp- need some help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dollywallu

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 20gallon tank with 4 platties and 4 amano shrimp. I purchased some new plants from pets at home and with 20 minutes my shrimp were all laying upside down looking very unwell.. after some googling I quickly established it could be pesticides or fertilisers on the plants so I removed the shrimp and currently have them in separate bowl in some tapsafed water and removed the plants from the tank. The shrimp are still alive 48 hours later and no longer upside down but not very active and not interested in food. Does anyone know if the will recover or are they physically alive but damaged from whatever poisoned them? Thanks! ??

Frequently plants are dipped into a snail killer. Not good for shrimp.

Could contain copper.

Plants could have come from a tank that was being treated. With a copper based mediation.

Maybe you can find out if the store was treating any illness in the tank.

Imported plants are often treated for snails and pests as a requirement for importation to a country. The residue in the container could have been dumped into the tank as well.

Did you add any of the fish store water into the tank?

You can buy a pouch of Cuprisorb by Seachem which absorbs/binds any loose copper. Often used in SW, but I had to use some in my FW tank when I wasn't paying attention and used a med which actually contained the ingredient.

Keep the Amanos water as clean as possible to give them the best chance of recovery.

They could be adjusting to the water quality. Whats your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph levels?

Back
Top Bottom