Possible invertebrates for my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KidneyMittens

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I was wondering if there are any invertebrates that would live happily in my tank. (like a cool shrimp).
Right now my tank has:
1 Black Moor
2 Balloon Mollies
1 Golden Dojo Loach

The are currently in a 10g tank, but I am moving them to a larger tank soon.(moving to a 29g tank, the 10g tank was temporary) the water temperature is kept at a constant 75-76 degrees with a heater, ph is 7-7.5 and ammonia nitrates and nitrites are all in good check.

I know a lot of people will argue that I should not have mollies with goldfish. I kept my goldfish warm anyways as she seemed to like I better. I watched my fish closely when I added the mollies, they all got along fine.

Sorry for the long question, any and all replies are welcome :)

IMO those fish are not compatible and even in a 29g tank you will be overstocked. The only inverts I can think of that would work would be snails.

You really think they would be overstocked? ATM they are all happy and no one bullies each other, loach mainly keeps to himself and the other three play nice (they've been together for about a month I think). I have a backup plan for my moor if she becomes too messy (my dad has a giant goldfish tank) but there don't seem to be any overcrowding issues in the small temporary tank. Is there anything in particular you think I should watch out for? I love all my fishes and don't wanna give any away, but if I have to in order to keep the healthy I will.

Both goldfish and mollies are huge waste producers. With enough water changes you could keep the levels under control... But I think dojo loaches are schooling fish.

Really? Unfortunately my LFS didn't mention that -.-. As for their waste. I have a monster filter I made on the aquarium and do about 20-25% changes weekly! my water stays crystal clear and have only had algae growth once (my mom fed my fish waaaaaayyyyyyy too much when I was gone :p) the loach seems active and happy enough, if I have issues I may find someone willing to take him. So you don't think any little shrimps would work once I upgraded to 29 gallons?

What filter is it? I would start changing at least 50% water each week. Do you have a test kit?

I don't think any shrimp will work.

I made the filter myself, I can post a picture later tonight if you're interested. It is an above tank sump filter with the heater enclosed within. I will test the aprox. gph later and post it. Okay, I will try increasing the water changes. At the moment I have no test kit (being a teenager I am perpetually broke) I am taking advantage of the free tests from the fish store until I buy one. If you have any suggestions that would be great :)

My two main suggestions would be: Move em to a larger tank and get a test kit. Would be interested in seeing your filter and hearing the GPH. I am a teenager also so I know it's tricky to save up for stuff :)

So what size would you say? I don't know if I would have room for much more than a 29 gallon tank (and I'm not sure what my mom would put up with XD)

Does anyone else have any opinions?

I agree with the other post about being overstocked. Re-home the moor if possible to your dad's goldfish tank. Until you move up to the 29 I would not add any more fish. As for shrimp, if the goldfish does not eat them, the loach might.
Your filter sounds interesting. Reminds me of the type of filter I have in a small water feature outdoors.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388456326.770830.jpghere is my filter, the perforated metal has my filter floss and activated carbon, to the right of it the water comes in and the long thing on the left is my heater, it's just refilling now after I did some cleaning of the pump when it got gummed up, will post the gph in a bit after it runs a little

Oh, and I forgot to say the bet tab on the left allows water to escape, an integral part of the design XD

Interesting filter... You could stuff that thing full of media, I would think. What kind of metal is it?

Stainless steel, spot welded and siliconed on the seams and welds. And yea I could jam it full of media, but the amount I have now seems to be working. If I added kore it would just get clogged up sooner, maybe I add gravel to the first area though....

Stainless steel, spot welded and siliconed on the seams and welds. And yea I could jam it full of media, but the amount I have now seems to be working. If I added kore it would just get clogged up sooner, maybe I add gravel to the first area though....

You could use 1" chunk cut bulk filter pad. As you get more $, replace sections with ceramic or star media. You can't really have too much media surface. Even lay in a few filter pads for more surface area.

Very careful attention to 2x per week pwc should help, but a test kit would be very important to insure your water parameters stay in a healthy range.

Back
Top Bottom