Pregnant ghost shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

doctordamen

Aquarium Advice Activist
How long do you think til she drops her babies?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423682494.809891.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423682515.938956.jpg

I'm pretty sure I can see some eyes in there

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have her in a planted tank with 4 Corydoras.. Once she drops her babies I'll take her out of the tank.. I've heard the Corydoras "should" leave them alone. I'll keep an eye on the numbers and if they start to disappear then I'll do something about it.

Are you planning on raising them? Baby ghost shrimp need specialized food to survive. There should be some plant matter, as well as baby brine shrimp and microworms.

I have live plants and I have let the algae go a bit in prepping for them.. I've been trying to buy some brine shrimp eggs but my lfs has been sold out for 2 weeks

Well.. Yesterday I thought was going to be the day, she had a couple eggs she had tried to flick off herself but were kinda stuck, dangling there... She was very active all day but still nothing. This morning when I checked, she wasn't moving very much and the eggs looked different.. I thought she was empty but looking closer there are definitely some more eggs in there but I can't see eyes anymore... I kind of have a feeling the eggs are stuck in there by how she's acting now... Any suggestions on what to do? Just leave it and see what happens?

The eggs look like there's more of a white center to them now.... Dead eggs??? :/

The eggs look like there's more of a white center to them now.... Dead eggs??? :/

I think dead yes. I've heard when eggs turn white that's not a good sign.

Caleb

~10g ghost shrimp
~45g ick is fixed! White skirt tetras.
~75g NEW! dojo loach, 5 black Skirt Tetras, 5 cherry barbs, live plants

Hmmmmm.. Well that sucks...
It looks like she might have gotten rid of some eggs, maybe 5-10. Hopefully a few make it! I just got my brine shrimp eggs today lol. Her energy level has definitely dropped alot, Im sure she is tired from trying to get the eggs out. But now Im guessing she is a goner since she has some dead/rotting eggs inside of her... Or will she somehow just absorb them? I hear of fish doing that.... Should I put her back in the community tank with her friends? :banghead:

If you moved her out of the tank it probably stressed her to the point of wanting to drop them. I've always been under the impression it's best to leave them alone and with enough hiding spots for the shrimplets, they'll be just fine.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

She has been in this tank for 4 days now... It seemed like it only took a couple hours to get used to the new tank. I make sure all my tanks are 0,0,5-10 nitrates so the water chemistry wasn't off much..

Anyways, that's the past... Will those eggs rot inside her and she's going to die? Or she will absorb the eggs as nutrients somehow?

Should I leave her in that breeding tank incase or move her back to my 55g

If you moved her out of the tank it probably stressed her to the point of wanting to drop them. I've always been under the impression it's best to leave them alone and with enough hiding spots for the shrimplets, they'll be just fine.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

She didn't drop them early.. I could clearly see eyes, they were ready to come out but didn't for some reason. My 55g is medium planted right now but I keep taking cuttings to thicken things up... I'll just let things go next time I think, and see what happens

This morning she molted and her belly is empty of eggs... Not sure what happened but I'm going to send her over to my 55g today so we can giver another go in a bit

Well, if you bought her at the pet store berried, it could quite likely be that the water chemistry changed and killed off the eggs. These shrimp are actually brackish, although they can "survive" in fresh water. SO they won't be very strong anyway. She'll be berried again soon if there are males in there.

Nils

Back
Top Bottom