PRL - Autumnsky's next shrimp adventure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Neos aren't as sensitive to things. The CO2 is a killer if it goes off where it should be it is difficult to get dialed in (that is the major part which scares me), do you have a tank or DIY?

Many people have had those accidents with CO2. Even very experienced keepers scary and deadly experiences.

If your tank with the Amazonia Light still has issues try a mineral stone, and a couple feedings intermingled with your regular feedings of foods which promote good shell health. Dark green veggies and I use a little bit of Seaweed Extreme™ - Hikari Sales USA which is good for most fish and is enjoyed by shrimp and had astaxanthin. Which you can buy in the healthfood store.

Shirakura Ebi Dama Special
Benibachi Gold Food Large&Small
Nettles, spirulina and dried leaves (clean and organic) are good to add in
Shrimp King 5 leaf mix is great combo
https://dennerle.com/en/products/na...ns/premium-shrimp-food/shrimp-king-5-leaf-mix

Most of these can be found online in sample packs and it is a nice way to be able to get some great variety.

Because I cared so much for these guys I upped my game and bought 4 different multi sample packs. Just feed very sparingly, very small amounts of these types of foods often they have much less filler than the local store brands. A little goes a long way.
And shrimp are so tiny they do not need very much.

Then when you find a food or 2 you really like you know you aren't wasting a bunch of money on something they won't even eat!

Last edited:
I consider myself experienced with CO2. I run a high-tech system controlled by a pH meter. I've run CO2 on all of my tanks, and done well with shrimp in all but this newest tank. Not sure what the deal was, other than the fact that I was running the CO2 just a smidge higher than usual to get the plants happier. Fish were not exhibiting stress except just when the lights would first come on, and then only for about 20 minutes. Even though I turned the CO2 down at that point, the damage was done. *shrug*. Could have been other things; the shrimp came from an auction locally and undoubtedly were stressed by tank change, sitting out at room temp all day, etc. Hard to tell. I've seen a few survivors in the last few days. Just dropped about 15 additional Amanos in there with the 5 that have survived the whole time. Much more active in there now. Amanos are brazen little buggers.

Brazen is an excellent word for them - brazen and brash! Much more fun to see activity though. They are hilarious to watch too, and big enough to see.

Sounds like you have a good grasp of CO2, way beyond me at this point. Maybe later when I get more time to focus extra attention on it, but not for now.

Autumn I added some new shrimp about a month ago, and now the planaria are back. Are shrimp carriers? I hadn’t seen any since it treated the tank months ago.

Oh (bad words) and dread!

I haven't heard that. Maybe they can be dormant? Maybe late hatchers, heck I know they can reproduce from pieces but eggs, I don't actually know.

Did you leave in the filter media for the treatments?

Interesting thought, maybe came in the item the shrimp traveled in the bag with? Was there anything in the bag with them?

Wonder if it has to do with the type of food/feeding of them. I recall I hadn't seen them that last time until I started feeding more pelleted foods and less fresh frozen defrosted.

Otherwise, and other than being mortified at this new info, I am at a loss over the nasty creatures excepting the above possibilities.
other ideas...:microwave::vader::eating::rocket::tgv:.

Inevitably when I've had planaria, it's over feeding of dry foods and garbage in the substrate. Super clean the tank, cut back on excess food, and treat with No-Planaria. I've honestly had the best luck with that stuff (and less toxicity than with fenbendazole).

Back
Top Bottom