purple vampire crab care

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

palmforce

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I have a 60ltr tank and have various species that all seem to get along OK, dwalf gouramis, suckerfish, danios etc, I saw some vampire crabs and have ordered 2, my LFS told me that they can live happily in a freshwater tank but don't mix with loaches or they will be eaten, now doing some research i need to check some conflicting information I have found online, 1. are vampire crabs fully aquatic or do they need land, 2. if they need land I'm screwed cos I don't have any, can I buy land that sticks to the glass in some way, any options., 3, what's the best thing to feed them on, 4.what shelter should they have, would a prawn tunnel be OK, 5. will they hide so I never get to see them, really appreciate your help, thanks martin

These crabs will not work in your tank, sorry to burst your bubble. They are tropical and need water but like a dish of water, not a tankful.

Burst away, I appreciate the feedback, they are submerged in water with no access to land in my local fishing shop, the owner is a marine biologist, why are they saying they will be OK but everyone on the net are saying they need land, was thinking about a floating island that I've seen that can be purchased, any ideas

Burst away, I appreciate the feedback, they are submerged in water with no access to land in my local fishing shop, the owner is a marine biologist, why are they saying they will be OK but everyone on the net are saying they need land, was thinking about a floating island that I've seen that can be purchased, any ideas

Because the owner is also a salesperson and they are there to make money. If someone buys something and it dies/breaks. Then they go buy a new one. You could get these crabs and set up a 20 gallon with moss/wood and a pool of water for them.

Tetra is right. unfortunately, there are very few fully aquatic freshwater crabs available in the industry. Vampire crabs(purple or otherwise) are mostly terrestrial. They can do well in a half water half land setup, but absolutely cannot live submerged. It may take a while, but they will eventually drown without access to air, and it would be cruel for them not to be able to spend ample time on land. There are a couple of members here who have successfully kept vampire crabs, you can search for their threads. I'd be happy to help you plan a more suitable environment for them.

--Adeeb

Whoa there!!!

Understanding this is 60 liters, not gallons which is about 15 gallons.

The fish you mentioned in this post should be in a minimum 20/29 Gallon long tank / 110 liters, and 100 Gallon or maybe 378 liters (Pleco if it is common which is a fish that gets 2ft or 61+cm.)

Please do some more research on the fish you have and what type of space each type needs.

People can help you here too with understanding the needs of different types of fish. Some need space to swim horizontally like the Danios.

The crabs need a nice amount of space and humidity and proper foods and lights for their health. There are some amazing set ups for these guys!!!

Maybe you could find a larger home for your current fish.

Can you be more specific? Are you saying a 60 litre isn't enough room for the small amount of fish I currently have, I have done research and everything was followed by the books I have been reading, this coin sides with LFS advice, tank been up since October and no deaths, just wanted some clarification on vampire crabs and the conflicting advise, tbh because everyone is tell me different things the only judgement is that nobody knows

Start by checking for info for each specie of fish you keep. Some of the main information is as follows, try making columns to see how many of your fish needs match. I have to go to work in a little while so I am in a hurry and might miss something and need to come back to it later.

pH is a big one, some fish require very soft or very hard water. Like discus soft and tanganyika shell-dweller cichlids hard. Many others can adapt to in between.

Water condition, Discus & Hybridized dwarf shrimp need VERY clean water

Water temperature Goldfish and Hilstream Loach need cooler water conditions, Discus Higher than normal range.

Swimming habits and types of habitat needs, many fish need hides/caves and plant cover to feel secure, some need wide open spaces for swimming horizontallly like Danios, some fish are bottom dwellers, some need cover like floating plants to clock light to feel secure.

Some fish are schoolers and need other fish with them usually 6 or more like Danios, some are shoalers which need groups as well. Some are needing to be alone, like a Betta (although some will tolerate tank mates) Some fish need other little fish around them so they feel secure and happy/dither fish.

Some fish are fine kept together until it comes to breeding or raising their babies.

Some fish require fresh foods and special diets like vegetarian, omnivore, or carnivore.

Do they eat other fish thinking they are food? You don't want baby shrimp in with a Gourami, they will think it is food.

You need to understand these things to make sure the fish you are caring for are well treated properly.

Fish whose needs are being met have better color and will live longer and stay healthier.

Due to this thread being about Vampire shrimp, I don't know what other fish exactly and how many you have. If you would like additional help, post in Freshwater General discussion and share all of this information. PM me if you want and let me know what title you posted it as and I will help as much as I can.

The "judgement" isn't as much judgement as a concern for fish in your care. It is a fact that a person can survive and live in a 6x6 foot jail cell with no sunlight. But their quality of life is dramatically different if they live in a 2000sf house in a safe neighborhood and get to go to the park and school and the movies, ie giving the fish decor and plants which make their lives interesting.
You need to know what you have.

Thank you, to ease your concern I won't buy anything that will eat anything else in my tank apart from the food I put in, I'm sticking to fresh water community fish until I'm experienced to get a larger marine aquarium. and from the encyclopaedias I read and research I do the tank is within size for the length of fish I currently keep when they are adult , I also do consider natural habitat, hiding places, live plants which I have, my problem was related to vampire CRABS and some sites and marine biologists saying fully aquatic and others saying no they need land, I suggested a turtle dock which is floating land and if this would compensate middle ground.

Back
Top Bottom