pwc's and shrimp dying.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cichlid Kid

Aquarium Advice Addict
Lately I've noticed in different threads some of us are having problems with shrimp dying after pwc's and I'd like to share the idea i had to remedy this.
I also had this problem. At least 1 or 2 of my rcs would die everytime. I now use water from two creeks i have locally that both have thriving populations of scuds and other inverts. I fill up 20gal. containers and store them in my basement. Before using the creekwater i tested the ph. and other parameters to make sure it was safe. Since then I've experienced only 3 deaths out of about 150 adult shrimp in 2 months.
I believe that the levels of macro and micro nutrients are there in this "natural water".
As a result my shrimp seem healthier and the young are growing even faster than before.

Very interesting findings. I have to add there's some unknowns, like ecoli and such.

Absolutely. Any waterborne pathogens contaminating aquaria is possible but not probable IMO. I had considered using a uv sterilizer in my holding barrel to eliminate any undesirables. Do you think it would make a difference? Im not sure what all a uv sterilizer would or could eliminate.

PWC

is PWC practice water changes?

if it is,

The main problem is not the water change itself, it is the way we all add water back into our tanks. And also how FREQUENT it is done.

Which is remove the water and dump the dirty tank water and
"fill" it back up quickly usually within 2-5 minutes.

This in my experience causes sudden slight influx in the water chemistry such as pH, gH, tds, all affecting the shrimp suddenly.

Example, a tank 10 gallons of ph 7.0 normally gets a water change lets say 10% cause its a shrimp tank, and you add water aged from tap that is 7.5
suddenly into the tank, that causes an approx of 0.05 degrees of pH (dont mind my math, its not the best:D) change overall the tank cause a pH flux. Certainly to us 0.05 degrees of pH is nothing but,

When the pH of a substance is increased or decrease by 1, it's becomes greater or less by 10 times, each time.

For example
A substance with a pH of 5 is a 500,000 times (10^3 times) more acidic than a substance with a pH of 8.

So to combat this, i have adopted a method to change water -

the DRIP METHOD. drip your water change over a course of 1-5 hours depending on % changed. and you should have 0 deaths:D

Absolutely. Any waterborne pathogens contaminating aquaria is possible but not probable IMO. I had considered using a uv sterilizer in my holding barrel to eliminate any undesirables. Do you think it would make a difference? Im not sure what all a uv sterilizer would or could eliminate.

you know what would be better then, creek water/river water that can be used clean and silghtly filtered? rain water.

besides from pathogens, worms, nematodes, viruses, bacteria can all kill your colony if you are not careful.

i just let a secret out:p

Quick question on the rain water, do you add minerals to the water or just use straight rain water? I tried rain water some time ago, did 50% rain to 50% tap, seemed like my ghost shrimp didn't care for it so I quit.

PWC = Partial or Percentage water changes.

They are more beneficial than hurtful in almost all situations, but some tanks do not need them.

Adding straight creek water is sketchy, I don't suggest it. I collect fish from the wild but I always put them through a regimen of antiparasite treatments and even then it doesn't always catch them all. Water from wild sources is chock full of stuff, both good and bad, so it's not a good idea.

water quality

Quick question on the rain water, do you add minerals to the water or just use straight rain water? I tried rain water some time ago, did 50% rain to 50% tap, seemed like my ghost shrimp didn't care for it so I quit.

As of any water,

measure all water (pH, gH, TDS) prior to use to determine if you need to add minerals back into the water first of all.
Usually rain water would be neutral with 0 minerals. But i filter my rain water with carbon for 24 hours before use then re-mineralize it after wards. Or carbon would suck some of it up.

For MAJB's post,

Partial water changes, I agree are beneficial. It is just the method you choose to add water back into the tank is the main concern.

Back
Top Bottom