Questions regarding Cherry Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SushiLuckyFin

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm thinking about putting cherry shrimp with a male Betta.

They would be going into a 6 gallon tank. probably with a live plant (java fern) and some moss of some sort and some silk plants.

I'm wondering how many I should get and if I end up with male AND female will the tank get overrun with the things?

SushiLuckyFin said:
I'm thinking about putting cherry shrimp with a male Betta.

They would be going into a 6 gallon tank. probably with a live plant (java fern) and some moss of some sort and some silk plants.

I'm wondering how many I should get and if I end up with male AND female will the tank get overrun with the things?

Most bettas will eat RCS (red cherry shrimp) so be careful, YBMV (your betta may vary)

Try to stay away from silk plants, real plants look much better ;) lol they also help with water chemistry. Try going for Anubias, java fern, hornwort, and most crypts.

The usual stocking rate for shrimp is about 10 per gallon.

Try ghost shrimp if your betta dosent play nice with RCS. Things usually end well with ghost shrimp and bettas:)

They're not pests, but they will readily reproduce. If you do try RCS, and get too many, you could always sell them:)

SushiLuckyFin said:
There is so much conflicting information!

Just when I think i'm getting closer to a solution....

SushiLuckyFin said:
NB. I don't have the betta yet :) still not 100% sure

Conflicting information on wether or not the betta would eat the shrimp? Or..? :) I've even heard a story from Coursair (member here at AA) about her betta with shrimp experience. She had a betta with some RCS coexist for about a week peacefully, then the betta suddenly snapped and took out every RCS in the tank.

Many many more people have had success with ghost shrimp and bettas for very long periods of time. I had my betta with ghost shrimp for about 6 months with not one single incident.

I've had cherries in a betta tank for about 2 weeks as a trial. I added 8, 3 remain. ;)

I have mine with corys, assassin snails, otos and endlers livebearers. No issues, they all happily co-exist.

They'd be breakfast, lunch AND dinner for any betta.

I have 8 adult RCS with 6 male fancy guppies, and they all coexist in peace. Shrimplets is another story, but I have lots of plants and a patch of flame moss around 3" tall they can hide in. The seller sent an endler fry as a surprise and the guppies went berserk trying to catch and eat him as soon as he hit the water, but the fry found the flame moss and they've been unable to get to him there. The shrimplets should have an easier time hiding in it I'd imagine.

Back
Top Bottom