Rabbit snail shell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

graucow

Aquarium Advice Activist
My chocolate rabbit snails shell seems to be changing color it usually looks like a pebble but it is turning a little brown on the front is this shell erosion? Or what is it? If it is shell erosion what can I do too stop it? Do I make my Ph less acidic and how would I do that? I love my rabbit snails very much and don't want anything to happen to them. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Could you post a picture? My rabbits shell's darken with age maybe that's what's happening? You can add cuttlebone to your tank this helps with calcium, I use these and also calcium blocks. Also feeding blanched spinach and kale is good for calcium.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah I planned on posting a picture when I get home also where could i find a cuttle fish bone

You buy it in the bird section at the pet store, just break a piece of and add it to your tank, i push mine into the sand and I just leave a section out as mine like nibbling on it. Give it a wash first in water. And don't worry if it floats it will soon become water logged!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

In the bird section of any store. It is used for caged birds to help with their calcium intake. It comes in a pkg. Pet store ,supermarket, wallmart etc. Alison

Alright cool thank you

You might also try one of those little vacation feeder blocks for fish.. they're made of calcium and most snails like them. They will eat the calcium to get at the fish food that's mixed with it. I put one of the huge ones in just a few days ago and it's nearly all gone already ! Lots of snail in that tank though.

Do you know the species name of the chocolate rabbits ? I ask because I have orange Poso rabbits, which have a dark brown shell that's the typical sharp conical shape, and I also have snails sold to me as 'chocolate' snails, they have a long narrow shell, but not the sharp conical shape of the Poso rabbits. The ends are rounded, more like a tiny cigar shape and the shells are a light beige colour. So far, I've not seen any colour changes in them, and I've had them more than a year.

I actually just gave them one of the vacation feeder blocks but thanks for the advice and here's a picture of my chocolate snail ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415487067.399475.jpg

No the best picture but I haven't been able to get a good one recently but the shell used to be all one color and you can see where it's changing now

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415489784.901735.jpg
Here's a better picture of my chocolate snail

I had four of these guys, but unfortunately, they were in a tank that a friend is caring for, and it got pretty cold in there. My friend isn't a fish type, he's done really well overall, but he didn't know he shouldn't leave the door open to the back yard once the temps got colder. So I lost a couple of them. I hope I can find some more somewhere.

I brought all the snails in that tank home except for a couple of Nerites, so there'd be some clean up crew left for the tank. My pair of Orange Rabbits are in with a Betta for now, there really wasn't room for them in the snail tank, which is rapidly filling with baby Mystery snails. They'll be sold eventually, but I didn't want to crowd things too much.

It looks like your rabbit snail is growing its shell back but didnt have enough calceum :fish2::fish2::fish2:

Thank you fishfur I've been worried about this for a while

Back
Top Bottom