Rabbit Snails and Live Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rak9378

Aquarium Advice Activist
So it would seem I have a difficult time learning a lesson. I was just at my LFS with my kids and we happened to come upon a planted tank with Rabbit Snails. Once the sales lady pointed out the "floppy ears" my kids were hooked and wouldn't let up. Against my better judgment (knowing nothing about this snail I would have normally researched it first) I went ahead and bought one as the saleswoman, who hasn't steered me wrong in the past, assured me it would be fine in my planted tank.

Well sure enough I got home and googled Rabbit Snails to find out that they do indeed eat plants and like Java Fern in particular...which my tank is full of!! The one thing I couldn't find much info on is whether or not live plants are their preferred food or do they only turn to it if there isn't enough other food in the tank like algae, leftover fish food, etc. Any advice before I put this little guy/girl in my tank? I'm prepared to return it if need be.

Thx

Last edited:
I keep rabbit snails and one of them definitely eats my plants the other two i haven't seen bother them. They get fed veggies and wafers as well but it doesn't stop the oldest from eating them. So it probably depends on the snail.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thx Shelly. I can't decide if I want to try my luck. Do you happen to have any Java Fern in your tank?

I have a lot of java fern but my snail preferred to eat vallis! So i stopped buying it, I use to get up in the morning to find stumps left and the plant floating! Rabbit snails are one of my favorites different to look at.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thx Shelly. I put the snail in the tank. It's definitely an interesting snail to watch. Hopefully its a well behaved Rabbit Snail and doesn't decide to eat my plants. :)

Unfortunately I had to return the Rabbit Snail. Apparently my Rosy Barbs found it to be as interesting as I did. Every time the poor thing came out of its shell one of the Rosy Barbs tried to make a meal out if it. So I had to return it. I didn't even consider how the fish would react since I have Nerites and the fish completely ignore them. Then again the Nerites don't come out of the shell the way the Rabbit does.

Back
Top Bottom