RC Shrimp keep dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lokilow

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've been trying to figure what keeps cause my shrimp to die and I think I've exhausted all testing for me.

So what is happening- My shrimps (babies and adults) are all dying during molting. I do have shrimps molting fine but the ones that I find dead all have the split in the saddle. (babies I dont know about for obvious reasons)

They also dont seem to eat really anything I tried to feed, ive tried lots of different foods and even a member here was very kind and gave me a lot of foods to try. Hell they wont even touch cucumber or spinach.

Things ive done to try and help my shrimps-
Moved to a larger 10gal tank
Running two filters
Upgraded air pump for more oxygen
Bought shrimp salts in case there is a calcium issue (this is still new but did a partial water change with some as an emergency)
Calcium stones added
almond leaves

Here are my parameters-
Ph 7.6-7.8,
ammonia 0ppm,
nitrite 0ppm,
nitrate 0ppm (yes i beat the **** out of the bottle),
kh 4 drops,
gh 9 drops
Tds 219 (normally 200, shrimp salts pushed it up as expected),
temp 75

Tank is heavily planted, no CO2. Water changes are weekly 10-20% Colorado tap water.

I dont have a calcium tester so I can't comment on how well my calc is in the tank.

Chemicals I use-
Aquavitro Shrimp start- https://www.aquavitro.com/shrimp-start.php
Aquavitro GH- https://www.aquavitro.com/shrimp-GH.php
And just got Saltyshrimp GH/KH- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y5RXML6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(I will not and have not used the aquavitro GH and the saltyshrimp at the same time)

MVJMiry.jpg

Any ideas on what I should try/check? I only have females left and about 1-2 babies. I want to make sure I can keep them alive before I add anymore. In total I have 5 or 6 left in the 10gal.

What are you conditioning your tap water with? What is the substrate? How old is the tank?

Aquavitro Shrimp start is a conditioner, if i dont use this I use Prime.

Tank is 3-4 months old and was also jump started with plants and hardscapes from other tank. Ran it for a month with plants in it before adding any shrimp.

I am using eco complete from Carib Sea.

I had a rough time restarting my shrimp tank after I changed the substrate. All the same plants and rock. I removed the BDS and went to PFS. I kept snails in the tank and some nano fish off an on. It took about a 6 months to a year to finally get it all settled and the shrimp reproducing well. They really seem to do better with snails in the tank. I would suggest you add a few mystery snails, wait 3 months and then add more shrimp.

What parameters do you have for your tank?

what kind of additives do you use?

what is BDS and PFS?

I use Prime to condition the tap water. Sometimes I mix in DI water if the TDS is over 200. Temp at74-75. I use buried root tabs for the plants. Snails and shrimp really react to liquid ferts so I stopped using them. I keep aragonite in my canister to keep the calcium up. And shrimp mineral balls in the tank too.

BDS is black diamond sand. And PFS is pool filter sand. IMG_4613.jpgIMG_4621.jpg

TMaier - did you try Thrive S liquid? I've only heard good things about it and was seriously considering it

I bought a RO/DI unit and then buffer the water with saltyshrimp KH/GH.

Its been about 2 days since and I have one shrimp stuck in her molt, im keeping an eye on her. Is there anything I can do to help her out if she doesnt get out by tonight? See picture.
3F3zBbq.jpg

Also, I noticed this little bug that crawled on my shrimps head last night. I am fairly sure its just a scud or copepod, I worried at first since it was on my shrimp but then I noticed a few others eating java moss. This was the best picture I could get, what do you all think it is/are they ok? As far as I know they are a very good sign to have as they are sensitive to water chem and only survive with good conditions.
04MRKoA.jpg

That sucks so much seeing the shrimp like that.

Thinking that the issue is the kH. I think where you are too is very low kH, like 0 most of the time. This is a huge issue in the shell having the right composition.

I use /have used several things, but the most simple one is to get the kH/GH test kit or a fancier meter (I don't have one and can't personally recommend any meters), is Kent's Marine Superbuffer d/KH
https://www.kentmarine.com/products/kent-superbufferdkh.htmd/KH

Over time realized I have had to start using this to stabilize/provide buffer for pH and fish health.

Other things are available, like Cichlid additives, basically if it has Calcium and Magnesium it helps.

I use Epsom Salts (plain only/no additives) too when doing a big water change. The plants seem to use up most of it any way.

Not neccessary if you are doing RO and remineralizing. Which I feel will be the only way I will do future shrimp tanks.

You can start out with about a rounded teaspoon of Epsom salts per gallon. Dissolved into hot water, cooled with tap water to tank temp, then TREAT with dechlorinator as directions indicate. Normally I do this after the weekly pwc when the water is in tip top shape.

Add the mixture in small amounts over the course of a day or 2, shrimp tanks I would do much smaller amounts added into the tank, than I do with my fish. Maybe divide the amounts in half for 2 days of amounts and divide each day in the adding of the ES into 5 of 6 doses.

I am not as keen with the science part here, but the Magnesium of the Epsom salts assists the buffering ability. Plus it is good for the

Dose the Kent's Marine like it suggests in it's dosage instructions.

The kH you would want to be around 3 drops in the test solution.

My kh is 4 drops and the salty shrimp i add is a kh/gh buffer. I've seen one death (the shrimp above) die since using it.

It's just so strange. I have a better picture of the little bugs I'll add to a new thread to see what they are.

Well, then...
You have been using Salty Shrimp just a couple days when that one molted, so maybe after having the minwral mix in there for a few weeks, like a molting cycle amount of time you could see improvement. Not sure.

Will be interested in seeing the bug pics.

Yeah Im hoping they improve over time with the RO/DI water with the Kh/Gh buffer. Sadly i dont have many shrimp left.

Back
Top Bottom