RCS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonestarbandit

Aquarium Advice Freak
Didn't want to clutter everyone else's threads. So let's clutter this one ^^

1. So if you have some clear IE ghost shrimp looking ones are they males and if so should they go away?

2. Do have hopes of trading for store credit at local LFS for store credit to finance my occasional fish purchase. I saw in a separate thread anywhere from .25 to 1.00 value lol can we nail it down a little better? Lol not interested in competing with all the aquabid guys this is just to get store credit hopefully.

3. How fast should a colony starting with 30 shrimp grow? Well supposed to be 30 there is no dead but I count only 20 so may have seriously been robbed. Yes I have a pre filter so that's not it.

Thanks jet for the various links in other threads I have read them*

Lonestarbandit said:
Didn't want to clutter everyone else's threads. So let's clutter this one ^^

1. So if you have some clear IE ghost shrimp looking ones are they males and if so should they go away?

2. Do have hopes of trading for store credit at local LFS for store credit to finance my occasional fish purchase. I saw in a separate thread anywhere from .25 to 1.00 value lol can we nail it down a little better? Lol not interested in competing with all the aquabid guys this is just to get store credit hopefully.

3. How fast should a colony starting with 30 shrimp grow? Well supposed to be 30 there is no dead but I count only 20 so may have seriously been robbed. Yes I have a pre filter so that's not it.

Thanks jet for the various links in other threads I have read them*

1. Yes males are a lot more clearer and by go away I don't exactly know what you mean, if you mean the color they stay clear to pink
2. Most lfs around my area give around .50 for each and sell them at $4 for one  also depends on the grade of them redder ones are worth more
3. A colony of 20 to 30 should be up to a 100 in about 2 - 3 months and the rest could hide in plants or decor

Ah yes I boondoggled that (dang you iPhone auto incorrect) was supposed to say "if not should they go away - ie be culled" clearly NOT if the clearish are the males as guess I need them lol. Thanks for the info! That is more in line with the sale price I figured on. Fortunately this isnt about selling for profit more a bit of store credit to cure the occasional new fish addiction. Lol kind of like occasionally eat for free as it were.

img_2011769_0_3b1f04f74b4dec4eb3eba3ca3ab9133a.jpg

img_2011769_1_927da182ce18076d6cb611afa1574851.jpg

img_2011769_2_834b96df60f5ba840df6c5ef67e3300c.jpg

This is some of them do they look avg

Those males are pretty clear. I've noticed that mine have a lot more color over darker substrates, though, so that may be a factor. The females have a nice color to them.

As far as what you can get for them at a LFS, you are just going to have to ask, it varies from place to place. Pet stores don't utilize aquabid so you aren't in competition with aquabid as far as pricing goes. Their price is likely going to reflect whatever their supplier/fish farm charges for the species. The RCS I've seen on a few wholesaler lists is usually around a dollar to 1.50 each at wholesale, so that's a good starting point.

Each of your females can drop 20-30 fry each, so you can imagine how it can grow exponentially. They do take a couple of months to get a decent breeding size, though. A LFS is likely to only want the ones at or near adult size as well.

They don't have any supplier lol they don't have any RCS. Thus my hope to make some store credit. But I am guessing this will take a while lol. Unless these guys are sposed to be this tiny these are juveniles.

Lonestarbandit said:
They don't have any supplier lol they don't have any RCS. Thus my hope to make some store credit. But I am guessing this will take a while lol. Unless these guys are sposed to be this tiny these are juveniles.
Just because they don't carry rcs doesn't mean that their suppliers don't have any. It could mean they just haven't ordered any. If they utilize one of the big farms as most lfs do, they should be able to look at the wholesale price through them at least.

jetajockey said:
Just because they don't carry rcs doesn't mean that their suppliers don't have any. It could mean they just haven't ordered any. If they utilize one of the big farms as most lfs do, they should be able to look at the wholesale price through them at least.

Yes I meant for RCS of course they have a supplier. You could be correct however they just don't order any. And I look forward to the exponential growth lol. As I would like to trade some but also like to populate my tanks once I get rid of the ghosts. I'm afraid the ghosts would eat them. My ghosts are nasty I had a sick Betta and they literally were pulling him down to his death with him trying to escape. Mean buggers

Back
Top Bottom