RCS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sacredfeesh

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Was wondering if anyone could help me I put 11 RCS in my aquarium around a week and a half ago, I have a big tree stump thats fake but has lots of hiding holes for them I seen 2 last tuesday but havent seen any since, I have 6 tetra 2 guppys 2 platyys and 2 corys, is this normal from rcs or should I be worried ? Thanks for any advice

SF

Sent from my SM-T210 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have a large colony of RCS in my main tank, heavily planted, lots of moss and mainly tetras. The shrimp were everywhere. I introduced a shoal of 7 blood fin tetras which were lively and inquisitive but never actually attacked the shrimp. But the RCS took exception to their new tank mates and all but disappeared. I thought they had been killed and eaten ( unlikely I know) but 2 weeks later and they are all out and about again, the blood fins have lost interest in them and my tank is again speckled with red shrimp.
Maybe yours are just hiding until they realise it's safe to come out and about. But I probably attribute human emotions to my critters :)

Thanks for the reply , hopefully time will tell the log thing ive got if you can see it in my display picture every "root" in it had a cave and its enormous so hopefully they come out soon and hopefully theyre making little shrimplets lol the only bad thing is im establishing a 30 gallon and now have to wait until its well established to put that ornament in as I dont want to kill them lol

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How large were the shrimp when you added them? I'd like to think they're hiding, but I might have to lean more towards some becoming snacks.

Hi HN1, they where fully grown no way the fish would be able to fit them I theyre mouths they didnt even bother with them lol

Cool! In that case, I agree. Hopefully they are just hiding. What are you feeding them?

Just crushed up algae tabs and hopefully they are getting the pellets I drop for the fish as well

I'm a long time shrimp keeper. This happened to me the first two times I tried to keep them. They did end up dying. Shrimp can die and completely disintegrate overnight or even within a couple hours. Water parameters have to be perfect and fish do nip at them until they die and then eat them.

The biggest reason I have suspicion of them dying is because adult shrimp are extremely sensitive and IMO, shouldn't be sold. It's best to transfer them as babies and let them grow up in the tank. Unfortunately pet stores want to appeal to people, thus sell them full grown and in good color. Try to go through a breeder online, they always sell juvenile that can handle the stress of shipment and tank changes.

Adult shrimp also can't hide that well unless you have an extremely heavily planted 20G or they are in something much larger.

Hi ali thanks for the imfo, I think u may be right, after a small bit of moving wood around in my tank today I removed the tree stump it has loads of caves in it after searchig aroumd it for a while couldnt see anything hopefully im still wrong and they are away down the bottom of it, ive kept amanos before with no problem but these rcs I am struggling with, I cant find any local dealers in glasgow at all, whats the best params for these as I am beatimg my self up over it

Sent from my SM-T210 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom