RCS abnormal molting - how to increase GH safely but as quickly as possible

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RadiantStarr

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Yesterday, I came to own 15 RCS since a friend of mine was culling her colony (safely drip acclimated). This was pretty sudden and while I happened to already have a fully cycled planted 5.5 gal (betta recently passed), my city's water is known for being very soft. And after researching, I know that's a problem for shrimp and can cause molting issues.... which I'm seeing now (see attachments - not my photos since I can't get a good picture but these are pretty close).

Parameters:
Tank Size: 5.5 gal
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 5-10
Temp: 78F-80F
ph: 6.6
gH: 3 (drops?)
kH: 2-3 (drops?)

I've crushed some cuttlebone and placed it in the filter and I got my hands on Seachem Equilibrium today. By my calculations, it's about 1/8 tsp to increase the gH by 1 for a 5 gallon tank. My question is, how quickly can I raise my gH in a safe manner? I only have one shrimp with molting problems right now and I assume it's too late to save it. But I'd like to prevent any other shrimp from developing the same problems.

Attachments

• IMG_2311.jpg
    IMG_2311.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_2312.jpg
    IMG_2312.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 69
Replenish by Seachem and a product called salty shrimp, either would do similar function for water.

What is their diet also can be a part of the problem.

As said use salty shrimp or liquid reminilizer like sl aqua blue wizard. It wi increase your gh to your desired level.

Back
Top Bottom