RCS and Algae Types

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettaGal

Aquarium Advice Addict
Do RCS really eat what I think is green hair algae? It's green and stringy. Never had an issue with it before. The guy at the store said they eat it and breed in it. There was a massive ball of it in the tank of them so he had to hunt for them. A little of it came home with them and I went in several places. If they eat it, it grows faster than they can get to it. I pulled a lot of it out just now with a small water change. I just wanna know if the guy was right. Thanks! :)

Is it hair algae or Java moss? Hairlike and strings no. Sure they would pick stuff off of it. Edit I was thinking of Cladophora algae. Nothing really eats that.

And they breed all over the tank, right out in the open even. Babies like to hide in the Java moss or plants. And the shrimp will pick at anything in the tank to nibble at the particles.

If it really is hair algae. If you have algae eaters they may like it.

If its hair algae, its not that attractive!!!

It's not moss. It's some kinda stringy green stuff. It wasn't pretty and was clogging my filter intake and was wrapping around my air bubbler as it spread so I plucked it off as best I could. The only thing I ever see them do is cuddle behind the filter or do their little scurry flit dance across the tank. They hide in the dumbest places. Lol.

I like some crazy natural stuff in my tanks sometimes, but I don't care for that personally and if it is clogging up the filter, not worth it imho.

Back
Top Bottom